Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I got a Philco tester today!

I never knew these existed but when I saw this, I had to have it.
He updated it and it tests all the tubes I need it for.

Plus come on, It's a Philco!!!

I don't know what it is about Philco's but they have something I just love.

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Doesn't the philco equipment seem like it's just built better. Every philco piece I've had weighs about 10lb more than any other brand.

Well, there are two parts to weight: one is, yes, the better quality parts you use, the heavier it becomes, and two, companies do know that perception and they intentionally avoid using lighter materials and make enclosures heavier using steel instead of aluminum, or use thicker gauge sheet metal where half would suffice. Because customer often associates heavy with quality.

Have been watching this for a long time in several companies including those I worked or am working for.

I've got one of those philco scopes and I think it weighs somewhere around 40lbs. All that material and a 3" screen

I tell you this, as much as I might feel a bit warm and fuzzy for those old scopes, today's digital scopes are WAY, way better, smarter and more convenient than any of the analog scopes.
Just the triggering alone allows you to do stuff you could not even dream of with analogues.
My next scope is gonna be 3GHz with at least 12GSa/s. This will cover any today's device and any old one as well.

Yea I've been watching YouTube videos about didg scopes and your right there amazing. I watched one where you can use them to determin any unknown capacitance/capacitor down to .0000pf

I used scopes for everything from calculating snubbers for FETs in power supply switchers to determine jitter in GHz telecom signals. My current one, breadand butter 1Ghz Tek comes with 16-bit logic analyzer which though not a stellar tool by any stretch is a handy thing when needed.

That is a nice looking tester, congratulations.

And +1 on digital vs analog scopes, although for what we do with old radios an older readily available Tektronix (or similar) from the 70's or later is more than adequate.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

A Beauty! Please preserve and enjoy.

That tester is in exceptional shape! Very nice.

Havent even opened the box since I checked it for damage, lol

Maybe on the new year?

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Put it in a sock under the tree. Make sure the sock is dirty enough so Santa or any of his deer does not take it from there.

I can't remember who made Philco test equipment but it was not Philco, they were made by one of the main test equipment companies like Precision or Supreme, chances are it's an emission tester, although a better emission tester. I also have a piece of Philco test equipment that I inherited, it's a variable frequency AC voltmeter made by a company called "Sierra". Near as I can tell they were often used by telephone companies for testing signal strength through their lines, I don't really know how useful it would be for radio and TV repair work.
Regards
Arran

Kirk GREAT find. I bet that tester got a work out years back. The Philco repair guy coming and going. How many households do you think it has been through the years? To test its customers radios.

(01-14-2015, 08:02 AM)PhilcoJohn Wrote:  Kirk GREAT find. I bet that tester got a work out years back. The Philco repair guy coming and going. How many households do you think it has been through the years? To test its customers radios.

Imagine trying to do house calls nowandays..... Sheesh, I see "Philco repairmen dropping like flies"

Cant wait to find it and then use it, lol

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021