Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The "cheap" Philcos of the Depression

We all know Philco built several low priced radios during the early Depression years. I have three - the 80B, 57C, and 84B. Though they only have four tubes, I have to say these three radios have been three of the more painful restorations I've ever done. From my experience, good alignment of these is next to impossible. Plus, my 57C and 80B still have intermittent problems, even though I've gone through them with a fine-tooth comb.

Though they aren't the greatest performers around, they do usually seem to be able to bring in local stations well. I guess they served their purpose - to be an inexpensive way to own a radio in the 1932-34 time frame, when the Depression was having its worst effects on people. To me, that makes these radios an important part of history.

Anyone have any better luck with these lower end table models?

Tom

I've worked on a lot of 80 and 84 sets; the only thing I've ever done to a 57 was to change a power transformer in one that had otherwise been recapped.

The 84s always seem to outperform the 80s, in my experience. On a decent longwire, I can get a fair amount of distance as well as locals on an 84. On most 80s, I do well to get the locals.

The one 57 I did the transformer transplant on performed really well, like an 84.

It has been my experience that in order to get the most performance out of these sets, that one needs to replace all carbon resistors as well as all paper and electrolytic capacitors. The resistors in these are often way out of tolerance.

As these use an autodyne mixer-oscillator circuit similar to Model 89, baking the oscillator coil forms and rewinding them is also something that should be done for optimal performance.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

As it happens, a fellow had sent me three radios to refurbish: two Model 84s and an 80.

In redoing this Model 80, I have come up with a quick and cheap way to somewhat increase the sensitivity of the 80. I'll put it together and post it in the Philco Electronic Restoration section later.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Sounds good Ron! It seems like my 80 only picks up local stations and that's only when it was in the mood!

Tom

EDIT: Details of these performance mods may now be viewed here:
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip43.htm
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip44.htm

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN