Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

new project 48-482

Just a note to say "Hi!" and introduce my new project, a Philco 48-482 I picked up on eBay. This is a before picture. I'll be posting in the Electronics and Cabinet Restoration forums on the technical aspects. Anyway, here's a before picture......

[Image: http://38.media.tumblr.com/e85afb8ad6a13...1_1280.jpg]

Welcome to the Phorum!!
The 48-482 can sound great. There are a few threads on the phorum related to this model that might be useful.

You picked a great one. I've had 2 of them. The most fun is getting at and replacing the more than 30 caps. Have funIcon_thumbup

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

I forgot to mention there are also some downloadable files for the 48-482 at http://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25

Thanks for the welcome and the advice ! I did find those links on the 48-482 here on the site. This site is very well set up, and the search works very well. It has been VERY useful to me. Yes, Eric, I have ordered replacements for all the caps in the radio, electrolytics, paper, and micas. I won't replace the micas unless I have to, but I will replace all the paper and electrolytics. Follow that adventure in the electronic restoration area. My new grill cloth came in today... not an exact match, but very close to what the original must have looked like. Right now, I am amassing parts and doing what I can until they come in.

YouTube video about my 48-482.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw7OrNI9qF8 . Yes, I know the FM is still weak, and I will do more on it soon; but, for now, I am going to enjoy my Philco and rest a bit. I worked for 4 days straight on the electronics in it to get it to this state.

Good job, Mike.
And, speaking of FM, unless you use good antenna, it will be weakish. My stereo tuner, in fact both of them, sold state from 90s, barely work on a wire piece.

Icon_clapIcon_clapIcon_clap

Hi Mike,

You did a great job.Icon_clap As Morzh said the FM may not be super strong. I'm over 40 miles from Chicago and once I did the complete FM alignment per Philco, I can pick up as many stations as I can with any of my restored radios. What are you using for an FM antenna?

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Thanks guys. This forum has been a great help. See my electronics repair thread, I got a lot of help and encouragement. Now I can try to encourage others in their restoration efforts. I have had this addiction for YEARS. My house is full of sets from all different manufacturers. I've always wanted to tackle a 48-482, now I have one in my collection.

I just watched your You Tube video.

You're right, that is a nice radio. Congratulations on your restoration.

Tom

I am finally satisfied with my 48-482. The saga of the electronic restoration can be found in the appropriate section. I'll just say, the problem was an error on my part, a miss-wired connection of a condenser. Fixed that and the FM volume came up to what it should be. I am running this radio with just the original built in antenna, the one that has the little metal tab that wraps around the line cord. It picks up as well as any of my FM receivers now, considering the antenna, and sounds better than all but my stereo system. I can get all the local stations BOOMING in loud and clear, and some fairly distant too. Well worth all the study and effort to make this old girl sing like new again.

Been there, done that Icon_lolIcon_lolIcon_lol
Yep my 48-482 sounds great too.