Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Having a look at the Philco 76

I picked this thing up on ebay last week. Did some cursory measurements and let her rip. Had a bad 24A tube. Replaced it and it played very well. The power transformer has been replaced along time ago. It had been leaking abit of wax so I thought it would be a good idea to recap it. Had the bank out and rebuilt in an hour or so. Onward to a half dozen other cap under the chassis.
Terry

Which version did you get (table, console, lowboy)?

Terry, love to watch your progress. Pictures are nice.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Hi Jon and Jerry
I didn't take any pics but it really wasn't that exciting. Found a bad resistor, had drifted to double it original value. It was the det. plate load resistor was about a meg. Replaced the under the chassis caps one gave me a run for my money. Bottom line one of the terminals was used as a tie point not a connection to the actual cap. The way it was wired it didn't make any sense.Drove me nutz for a half hour or so trying to figure out what the heck that cap was in there doing! Found a parts pic location that listed it and then everything came together. Here's a pic of it from epay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philco-Receiver-...462491bd01
So now it's all back together and working well but does have a little distortion in the audio. Need to check the tubes and in a hurry I replaced the det tube (24A) w/a 35 which may be the issue.
Tnx for your interest!
Terry

Beautiful Radio! You really like those pre-superhet sets don't you?

Good luck fixing the distortion issue.

All the radios I had with the plate detector have some distortion I can hear. Tolerable but noticeable when playing music.
In your case cap #15 will cure it if reduced to a few hundred pF but of course the sensitivity will suffer.

Terry, make sure you replace the 35 you have as the detector with the correct 24A.

The plate detector needs a sharp cutoff tube to work properly. A 35 tube has a gradual (remote) cutoff which will produce a lot of 2nd harmonic distortion and low output, even though it may work to some extent.

If you don't have an extra 24A, switch the 35 with one of the 24A RF amps which should work fine with the 35 substitution.

Tnx guys for the tips. Will get back to it soon.
Terry