Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Trifecta

Well I just doubled the size of my Philco collection. I had always wanted a Radiobar and today I just scored three at the Kingston NY auction. One is a rare Philco Zephyr and I'm not sure of the model numbers for the other two (photo link below). Unfortunately, all are missing the glassware so I've got a long road ahead of me. One of them I'm giving away in exchange for transporting the other two radios from NY to Iowa. Two of the models look like this [Image: http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/2182003/fp268.cgi] .
Was the glassware unique to Philco and are there any photo guides out there that describe the correct glassware?    
Thanks,
Keith

WOW!!!
I don't know about the glassware. But I do know i'm envious. Congratulations that excellent.

Well I lied, I did buy three radiobars but only two are philco's, the third contains a GE A-53. I've heard that a few radiobars were made with RCA and Zenith radios but I don't know about GE. Here a pic of the GE radiobar. The documentation for these is rather sparce.
Keith

Attached Files Image(s)

Keith, I too was at that auction, I have a full set of glassware for the radiobar, but from what I saw, the bottle area is unusual? I think they will take the hard to find square bottles, I have 4 round bottles? They all seemed small size radios as well, most radiobars I have come across hold more glassware, the one ge you show only holds 4 shot glasses, the ones I have seen hold 6 or 8., could you show a closeup of the Philco Zephyr so I can see if the glassware and bottles I have would fit that unit?
Rock

Rock, I used absentee bidding so I haven't seen my radios yet. It will still be a few weeks before I can get them to Iowa. Shipping is way more expensive than I thought. I did find a company by the name of "You Crate" that can ship all three for less than $600.00. At this point you know much more about my radios than I do. I'll get back to you as soon as I can get some photos. I'm very interested in purchasing original glassware.
Keith

Rock, I'm not sure of the best way to post images on this forum but here's a photo my friend took of the zephyr bar. Let me know if you can't see the image.
Keith

Kieth,
yours appears to be the larger version ! It looks like there are slots for 8 lg. tumblers, 8 rocks glasses, 8 small tumblers, 6 shot glasses, and 4 round liquor bottles
I have the smaller set, 6 lg, 6 sm, 6 shot, 6 rocks glasses & four liquor bottles
You are really gonna have a tough time finding that amount of glasses, it will take some time and expense.
I too looked at this radio, But never saw a version like it, that is why I thought is was a FrankenRadio, and did not bid on it. Plus I would have not gone for the amount that it sold for.
It is a very nice rare find. Good luck with the restoration
Rock

Keith

Allow me to congratulate you. You have a very rare bird there. Never before have I seen or heard of a Radiobar with a 1940 Philco built in. Depending on whether it is a two band or three band set, it appears to have either a 40-135/40-160 (two band), or a 40-145/40-165 (three band) chassis inside.

Until now, I was under the impression that no Radiobars were made after the 1939 season. Philco bought the Radiobar Company in mid-1938. You can read more about that here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/history/radiobar.htm

Once you receive this set, I would really appreciate it if you would send me several photos of this set, including a close-up of the radio control panel and a back view showing the chassis. With your permission, I would like to include these in the link above to document this set. y2k Bruce has already kindly sent me one photo from you, and I thank you.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you Ron, like Rock I thought it was a Frankenbar until I found the exact radio on the radiomuseum site http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/radiobar_u_...iobar.html . Once I get it home I'll post pictures and I'm sure I'll need lots of help from the forum for restoration details.
Keith