Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 53C questions

Well,
I got the tubes today and put them in. The radio came on and I was happy but the noise was loud and not controllable by the volume.

Is this a backwards E-Cap? or is it those big ol' resistors. I have to check them still. I am very careful with the E-caps so I dont think I messed that up.

Any ideas?

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

If one or both resistors were open, the tubes would not light up (they are part of the series filament string).

If you had installed an electrolytic backwards, you would have known it right away by the loud POW! like a firecracker or gunshot from the electrolytic failing from being connected backwards.

So...so far so good, it seems...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Kirk

1. What you need to do has to be done NOT IN YOUR GARAGE, or on the gound floor or near grounded anything. No it is not a true hot chassis but still no galvanic isolation.

2. Hook a good antenna.
3. Try to SLOOOWLY rotate the tuning cap and see if there is any reception at all.

No reception, just the loud hum even with volume at zero.
I'll try the long antenna but the hum will still be there.
What could it be?

I'd let you get it working but I don't want that 116 cabinet Icon_lolIcon_lol
Plus you still have the Silvertone 45 to play with. Icon_mrgreen (when you decide to take on that challenge)

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Oh don't worry, if not 116, you re getting that 16 cathedral Icon_lol

You did keep the original coils in that 45? (or what's left after those french chefs dined on it)?

Hum means the buzz/60Hz type?

Or crackling/noise?

What is your #5 cap value? (the one across the field oil)?
And another, alo #5, at the left of the sch, next to the vertical dashed line?