Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

mute philco 19 or 89 or all between

At least now we (finally) know that this is a model 19 and not an 89. That only took eight days and four pages. Icon_rolleyes

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Confused

Nice job on that cabinet.

Now the coil.
It did look like it was a ferrite antenna. Which has a differen purpose. For starters, it is an antenna. It is also a transformer by design.
The ferrite provides coupling and also changes inductance of the coils, times the ferrite permeability.

However, given right geometry of the coils, it is possible in theory to convert it into an IF transformer.

Now, the IF transfomer is two coupled resonant tanks. Each half is a resonant tank tuned to the IF frequency.

The coupling is through the "air core" so the coils need to be fairly close, compared to the ferrite coupled types.

Now the frequency is dictated by the inductances and capacitors.
The inductance is dictated by number of turns and geometry of the coil, and this is a given, so the only way to tune frequency is to variate the capacitors in parallel to those coils.

If you have a generator and a scope this is easy enough. If not, it is an exercise.

Yes, Confused.. I know. They helped me alot with my 47-1230 also. As I said I was kidding around, I think most knew that. No problem here. I have been on here a while, i hope most here knows my respect for them. That doesn't mean I can't kid a bit once in a while. Icon_wink

I pushed what was left of the middle out of the paper scaffold tube then moved them as close as about 1/4" after I took out the crumbled core. The core fell out followed by powder. The original was roughly about 1/8", should I move it closer? haven't put it in yet.

Well here's the news.
I made the coils about the same as the original, soldered and put it all back together. I think I'm on the right track.
I got very faint noise.....whining , faint static and hissing where I got nothing before. I got it in the middle of the dial where before it was quiet.
I think I found the problem and need to get a new part. By what I've gone through with this radio it seems narrowed down to the IF coil after all.
YEAHHH!!!!!!
Now to find the part.........sad face!

http://www.oldradioparts.com/2a6fla.txt
1461-222 PHILCO 89 PHILCO "89" COILS, INQUIRE... 1 0.00

I do not know if this is the one, or if he even has stock.

Hey Morzh
I did check his parts listing. It Says "inquire" so I shall.
I turned it off and tried again and the hissing got a little louder.
Thanks for the info I'll need it...