Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

mute philco 19 or 89 or all between

Hey Art
No offense taken! I saw it as a joke.

Ron....as an experiment I tested two other coils and they both showed continuity on each pair of soldered points. the one that I have been referring to as the 2nd IF Transformer, only has one pair of soldered points that have continuity, the other pair show they are open.
I also tried to get a reading from each of the tubes this radio has at the P to K. I couldn't get a voltage reading because I forgot what part of the meter to use " any help with the meter would be welcome" but I kept on getting scratching and loud squealing from the speaker......good thing I think?
I tried an external wire for an antenna without any luck. I'm starting to think it ha something to do with the incoming frequencies.
In

Quote: 2nd IF Transformer, only has one pair of soldered points that have continuity, the other pair show they are open.

That needs to be resolved before anything else.

Any IF transformer should have more than one coil, so more than two pins with continuity.

I did an experiment yesterday......I tasted two separate coils for continuity. Each had four leads, I put a probe to each of these leads and found that each coil had a pair of leads that showed continuity. Four leads with two sets with continuity. The one in my radio has four leads but only two of the leads show continuity, the other two are dead.
The coil "2nd IF Transformer" had a broken wire which has since been fixe, shows continuity. The other pair show NO continuity. Could that be why I'm not getting a signal at all.
I was concerned about the speaker not working but found out as I test the prongs of each of the tubes, the speaker would softly hum or squeal or screatch real loud.
I also don't recall how to test the voltage on the P to K with the muti meter.
Any help with any of these issues would be helpful.
Thanks

I thought so. it seems like I will be needing a new IF Trans former seeing as I don't have any signal.
Anybody have a spare working one laying about.
I re-soldered one broken wire but could not find the other break.
Can a coil that has two separate windings on each end work just as well or do they have to be wound one atop the other.
Thanks

To measure P-K voltage you do exactly the same as for any other DC voltage.

Have your meter on DC volts, and you leads in Common (black, negative) and V (red, positive) sockets of your meter.

Put your positive probe to P and your negative to K.

I have a couple of coils that are distinctly different from the one in the chassis.
Both have the windings separate from each other, the original has the windings one atop the other. will that make a difference?

Morzh
Thanks for the info....I thought that was the way I should use it.....what setting.....there are five settings in that section. I can't recall which one.

Depends on what meter you have; an autoranging one, which is the majority today, has no settings. It is just B, I, Ohms or Capacitance.

If you do have ranges, use the one that is higher than the max expected voltage, so say you expect to measure 200-350V, and your ranges are 5V, 50V, 100V, 500V and 1,000V. You can use the last two.

By the way....the name or user you see as "confused2" is actually me.
My home computer died the other night and I couldn't log on for some reason so I created a new username which now won't let me back on. My daughter was able to find a way in.
I apologize for any misconceptions.
On another note I am presently trying to upload a couple pics of the coild I've been carrying on about.

I managed to upload a couple pics of coils.
One is in my radio the other a test subject.
Are these interchangeable?

Attached Files Image(s)

No they are not interchangeable.

Geometry is different, the turns are unknown....what's more, the lower one looks like a ferrite antenna, but even if it is not...you need to get either the same one or rewind.

I was hoping against hope for a some what quick fix.
I've been looking all lover for places that sell that type coil, seeing as I'm not sure what to look for, any ideas where I can get a replacement?
I can't see my rewinding unless last resort.
Thanks for the insite Morzh

Try Play things of the past, www.oldradioparts.com

If not, this is not too bad to rewind.

Remember this is a 260 kc transformer which is different from the more common later 455 kc types. Plus it has an untuned secondary. They are not hen's teeth rare but unless someone has a donor chassis you may be looking for a while.

I'd suggest to proceed with the rewinding. Nothing to lose at this point. Before starting take it out of the chassis and give it the eagle eye examination. You may see a break or where it may have been nicked. Determine the wire size and get ahold of a roll. (ebay). Attempt to count turns as you unwind it. A few turns of inaccuracy won't be an issue. You'll never be able to rewind it nice and pretty like original but it can be done.