Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

mute philco 19 or 89 or all between

I think I'm Going to try both.
Rewi[/u]nding will give me experience and most likely aggrivation.
and trying to go through playthings of the past can be the same. I've tried there before and he is very specific, otherwise he won't answer.

Yeah, expect some aggravation. Wire that fine breaks easily. And if its got the dreaded green dots of corrosion even unwinding can be a chore.
Gary at PTOP sells parts by number. He won't respond to "what do you have that will work in my radio". Obvious reasons.

Hello
Aggrivation was a joking word. I unwound both copper wires that make up the coil.
Here comes the fun part. "I HATE COILS!"......unwinding was the easy part. rewinding was for me impossible. Last night one of he coils came partly undone and unwound it's self. I tried to do it again but the fine wire tangled it's self. the more I tried to untangle the mess to worse it got.
I was thinking about the other coil I showed in the pics. If I removed the iron from the inside would the coil work similar to the original?
I know the windings may be a little smaller and the foundation it is wound on is smaller as well but would I at least get a signal.
My chances of finding a replacement and or finding wire thin enough just as bad.

Confused

OK, it is not a huge chance that the other coil will work. Try it if you got time but even if here is some life after that, it is not the life you want. I give it 2.47%. Icon_smile

Now,

When winding your coil, (and I hope you have some dohickey to keep the wire taught) after so many turns take a small dab of say fabric glue and brush on the coil, then proceed. It cannot be too many turns, I give it maybe 250 plus minus. Could take you an hour tops.

hello
well! I tried untangling the wire for about two hours last night. I give up. It is now the smallest scouring pad in the world.
I'm going to have to find some wire of the same gauge or try to find the part.
The wire is what......about 40 gauge?

Untangling the magnet wire is a sheer waste of time and effort.

Probably 38-40 AWG.

Yes, winding is no fun for me either. And even if you have a winding machine....

Here's something you could try with the other coil. Looks like a typical 455kc transformer and they typically resonate with around 100 pf of capacitance. Only one side of your Philco coil is resonant and that simplifies things. Add about 200-300pf (not critical, we are guesstimating here) in parallel with the trimmer for the resonant side. Leave the other side as is. If you can shove the two windings closer together that could help as well.
With the proper test gear this would be duck soup. Otherwise its trial and error.

There are ways to circumvent an IF xfmr with some resistors and a capacitor but you lose a lot of gain and selectivity that way. Plus the 89/19 is a rather persnickety radio to start with and might not work.

Hello again
I unwound both sides of the coils. The other I was going to rewind, I didn't want to take the chance and end up with another scouring pad.
I did take the other coil and physically changed the distance between the two coils. I figured that had something to do the electromagnetic waves. I started soldering the coil wires where the older ones used to be.
I figured what the heck...seeing as this radio has taught me a lot so far....
if I get it working I'll give it a name.....PIMA after my wife...short for Pain In My A$$..." Hope no one gets offended.

If this is your current wife, make sure she does not read this dedication or this radio could possibly become an integral part of your body...with maybe a couple of cast iron skillets Icon_lol

Quote:Plus the 89/19 is a rather persnickety radio to start with and might not work.

No one told me that when I was buying my 89... something to look forward to. Icon_e_confused

"might not work" relates to the filter xfmr replacement situation coupled with the persniketiness. By itself, persnikety or not, the radio should work just fine, otherwise it would not be produced.

I'm curious! What is the difference from the original coil as opposed to the one I'm thinking about. I see the physical differences such as structure. I removed the iron core which was falling apart anyway. I did notice the wire when spun on it's core looks braided as opposed to what a sewing machine type bobber which goes back and forth or side to side for even coverage. The original has a wooden core where the other has a paper one. Neither of the windings are physically touching except the base on which they were spun.
You guys are obviously the experts and I am the lowly student, so to speak. Some things make sense but this one kind of quirky.
Even after all this I have this bad feeling it's still not going to work.

LOL!!! Morzh
First and last....fool me once!
I attached a couple pics to show how the cabinet was. The reason I want to get it to work. I think it's worth more life. Ignore the tape on the bottom, used to hold parts in place while dabs of glue set up.

Attached Files Image(s)

Actually, I was kidding you guys. Can't say Im not a little cautious about repairing the 89, seems a little bit harder than most to repair... Will be good learning experience when I can get time to start on it.

Warren
Tread lightly.....lol
if it weren't for the friendly advice I get from this forum I would have plainly given up like I almost did back a few pages ago.
These guys are to blame for my stubbornness..
By the way...the pics I posted above are of course before and after. The radio was painted brown, an attempt to hide all the flaws. When I received the set via usps the grill was wasted " and I don't mean drunk" after I finally get this thing running, I'll get wasted...lol.
Instead of rebuilding the grill I made a half template, traced it and cut a new piece. Re-veneered all of it. The veneer was gone also. I'm almost done with the case....now to get the chassis to work.
This radio has turned out to be the teaching radio.