Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

High end drops off- Philco 60 (Run-3)

Hi all,
It's been a while since I've posted here. I need to catch up on all these threads.
I do have a current problem, perhaps it's a simple fix. Working on a Philco 60, run 3. Rebuilt the blocks, and filters.
Replaced a couple out of spec resistors.
Serviced the tuning cap, no shorts. Tubes test fine.
I do notice that someone had possibly rewound the OSC coil. I have not taken it out to inspect yet, nor have I replaced he mica cap inside the coil form.
Here is the issue: Set receives fine from the AM low end , then tuning up the band, will quickly be silent about 1200kc. I have to tune back to about 1000kc, then can tune up to 1200 again- cuts out. It is not shorting at tuner plates. It doesn't abruptly cut off, but drops very fast at a certain point.

Would a poorly wound OSC coil cause reception to drop off? Too many, or too little turns?
I have tweaked the trimmer caps by ear, but have not done a proper alignment yet due to time.
If the IF is off, would that case the issue? It receives very well otherwise.
SW band sounds dead, maybe an alignment issue. (Not worried about SW at the moment). If I get free tonight, I will do a quick check of the IF. Anything thoughts of what might cause this would be appreciated.
Thanks!!! Gary.

Messages In This Thread
High end drops off- Philco 60 (Run-3) - by gary rabbitt - 08-25-2014, 09:58 PM