Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I dont have one yet.....

Guys and girls, As of yet I do not have a cathedral radio in my collection. The closest radios I do have is a Philco 37-10 tombstone and a Philco 16B. If you were going to add one,and only one to your collection what would it be? I want to start looking for one and I need some ideas. Just wish I was able to get to Kutztown but maybe in the spring.Let me know what you guys think. Thanks! Icon_thumbup

There are many good choices.....I would go for something representative.

Either a 20 (possibly Deluxe) or a 90. Possibly a 70.
PS. I were about to add a 16B cathedral but you already have a 16.

John PM sent

probably a 90

I have yet to find one that isn't stupid expensive.

It's not how bad you mess up, it's how well you can recover.

My suggestions would be a Philco 90, 70, or 20 in that order. I'd lean toward a 90 since it is the iconic representation of the classic cathedral radio, especially since prices are down compared to a few years ago. Look at the gallery photos and see if one style suits you more than another..... there are a lot to choose from.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

How about this one

[Image: http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x455...C_0673.jpg]

We saw that one somewhere, I remember it, 90 with falling leaves cloth.

Quote:We saw that one somewhere, I remember it, 90 with falling leaves cloth.
Yeah, that was one of the sets John (Rock) snagged at the auction. If it is a 90 then the escutcheon is incorrect, but it looks solid and with some fresh grille cloth and the correct escutcheon it could be made quite presentable.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

Yes ecutcheon is slim for 90.

That's a 77/96/111 escutcheon on that 90. Easily replaced with the correct one, so don't let that stop you...I know that John (Rocklandman) will be offering this 90 at a very good price. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well, the cloth and the escutcheon match.
Add the chassis and the cabinet, and you can restore the whole thing to a nice 111.

Wait...you want a cathedral Icon_lol

Yeah, if you like that style I'd jump on this one. It'll be an easy restore; the escutcheon will be relatively easy to find, they're making the grille cloth again, and Rock is a great guy to deal with Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

I wish the falling leaves pattern were being reproduced so I could properly restore my 96. I don't think I have ever seen that being produced. The original looks like 20 with embroidered leaves so I guess if I could find 20 cloth it wouldn't be hard to replicate.

And I agree with the cathedral a 90 or 70. If not then I personally like the look of the late 18,118b.

Yeah,
I let John have that one since it wasnt falling apart. Whats the fun in buying if there isnt 50 hours of work to do to it. Icon_lol

Or the bidding went to high but i'll stick to my first story.. Icon_wink

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6