Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Questions about Philco electrolytic canisters

Hello everyone
This is my first post to the Philco Phorum and I would like to inform everyone that I'm just a novice weekend radio restorer. Please keep that in mind when I ask beginner questions. I'm just starting my third radio restoration and I've got some questions about         the electrolytic cans for my Philco 116B (early model) radio. Correct me if I'm wrong but these are the three cans:
p/n 30-2121 1.0uf-3.0uf-2.0uf-1.0uf
p/n 30-2025 8.0uf
p/n 30-2045 8.0uf-10.0uf
I'm attaching a couple of pics showing some sort of "color coding" on the bottom of these cans and I would like to know what they represent. Such as the bottom of the 4 cap 30-2121 shows "silver,blue,blue, yellow. Do they represent the 4 values of the caps? Is there a web site out there that explains the different types of these canisters?
Also, is it better, when replacing them, to stick with the closest possible values or to go to a higher value? I can never get a straight to that.
Thanks to all responses
Jeff

Since there are more than one cap in the can, the colors represent which cap terminal is which. Does it have any info in the side of the can? As in (example) blue=1.0uf, yellow=2.0uf etc.

I had the same thought as you. The only info on the can is the part number, the capacitor values, and working voltages. Since there are two blue dots I would think they represent the two 1.0uf, but I don't know what the silver and yellow would be. Are you able see the attachments I uploaded? The other can p/n 30-2045 has the 8.0uf and the 10.0uf and has a red dot and a silver dot on the bottom. I've searched all over web for pictures, but can't find any.

Jeff

Look the part numbers up on the philco repair bench, it may have the info on which cap goes to which color. Does the schematic have any info on it? If not you may have to trace each cap through the schematic to match it to the chassis.

The philco repair bench search didn't get me anything, and my schematic doesn't show a code either. Guess I'll have to do it the hard way.

Jeff