Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need help identifying electrolytics

I was hoping that maybe someone could help me with one of the electrolytic cans on the Philco 116B, p/n 30-2121, number “80” on the schematic, because of my limited ability to properly read radio schematics. The can has 4 caps – 1.0uf, 2.0uf, 3.0uf, 1.0uf. I’m pretty sure that all the neg. leads are tied together and grounded to the chassis. I was wondering if someone could help me identify which capacitor is which, and where the positive leads connect. I think I know where they go, but I’m just not confident enough to replace them without someone to help. I've just completed rebuilding all the bakelite blocks and I don't want to proceed restuffing the can until I'm absolutely sure its right.

Thanks
Jeff

The schematic shows all four caps are grounded. Does your cap can have color code on the bottom where solder tabs are? Usually color dot next to lug. I recently did a 16b and I put a piece of tape on each wire with what color dot/ lug they went to. Really helped when I was ready to resolder after restuffing can.

Yes, The bottom of the can terminals are color coded, (silver, blue, blue, and yellow) but I can’t find a reference as to how these colors correlate to the 4 caps inside the can, or which color relates to which cap. Since there are 2 blue dots, I would think maybe they would be the (2) 1.0uf caps. Not sure about the silver and yellow.

Well what I did was trace each wire from the lug to where it goes to on the schematic. If you look at schem. one goes to the 77 1st. audio. You will see that it is connected to the screen grid.
As you can see that is a1uf cap.
Do each one and make note of the value in relation to color on the can.
I do believe the 2 blues on mine were the 1ufs.
Hope this helps you.

Ok, I got it. I see one 1uf(blue) going to the 77 1st audio. The other 1uf(blue) goes to #104, a 10,000 ohm res. that connects to #44 bakelite block. The 2uf(silver) goes to the 78 2nd IF. And the 3uf(yellow) goes to the #89 audio trans. Sound right to you? I guess I was just being lazy, and you got me working. Thanks Mike. I appreciate it.

Jeff

Glad to be of help. Good luck with your 116B.