Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The best table top Philco

Being severely limited space wise, what would you choose as the best seven Philco table top radios (with#1 being the best out of 7 and the 90 not counted, that goes without saying)?
Thanks.

Why is 90 not counted? It is not the best of'em. Or at least opinions do vary on that one.

16B is good.

Also when saying tabletop, do you count shoudered tombstones, because if yes, many will pick tombstone 16 as #1.

90 is coveted for what it represents maybe, but being a one-band plate detector radio it neither receives the best nor sounds the best.

I'm afraid that's like asking, "What's your favorite color?" Icon_wink

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Agreed, de gustibus no est disputandum....

There is however a chance of success in this one as there are only so many tabletops and there are some of them that are clearly superior by design, parameters and / or looks.

Subjective it is.

For instance, I personally like 38-15 type (and the likes from the same kind, both year 38 and 39), for its look mostly and decent enough quality for its size, although acoustically clearly any tabletop baby grand including 80 will sound superior. SW band adds to the appeal.

Eric is correct.
You need to define your criteria.

Best performing?

Best looking? (Very subjective obviously)

Best value?

Best sounding? (Also subjective)

Chuck

morzh,

Ditto on 90, it is just that pedigree thing.Performance wise,indeed, it is quite impotent, at least mine is.
All the same, I am done with both 16b's, so, please, keep talking. And yes, I mean all table tops, shouldered tombstones inclusive. Thanks.

Chuck,

To make it easy, I will put it this way: The most sought after. How is that? Clearly, there would be no problem with a consoles: it would be 38-690XX, and there will be no discussion on the color, shape, etc.However, the only spot on my place's floor to be taken by the console would be the Majestic's Lido.

Could be 37-690 Icon_smile. in fact I kinda lime it just abit more...would go for either one.

Sought after....90, especially one or two types, I think the pushpull ones, are very much sought after.

Then there is that 45 butterfly.

Butterfly it is.Always wanted it. Three more to go.

Yep, also want it.

I like the 118B because of the look. It is unique. Mine seems to play well also.

Performance wise my 16B is best, but similar in look to many others.

Steve

SteveJB,

My 16Bs are also great performers.I am looking for 118, but not restored, no fun otherwise.That is why I posted inquiry on it few days back.Have you started on your cabinet yet?

I have been working on it. The previous owner used a belt sander on the finish and took out the scalloped marks on the front of the cabinet so they are smooth now.

I am trying to carve them back in. I would rather have a decent original cabinet.

Philco made many great tabletop radios. My personal favorite is the 48-482. When brought up to as new specs it is an amazing performer. Using just the built in antennas, on AM I can pick up stations from New York and Canada easily, even during the day, which is tough around my house because of the "hash" during the day around here. Shortwave comes in surprisingly well also on just the built in antenna, and I can get stations from all over the world. Once tuned properly, the FM of this receiver is quite good, even with the original line cord antenna. Looks wise the 48-482 is an impressive receiver, with its luridly glowing slide rule dial, and stately, handsome cabinet. So, my vote goes to the 48-482

I personally like the 60/66mb, nothing special performance wise, i just like the unique look.