Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Beam of Light question...

Hi Guys....

Just putting the finishing touches on the chassis of this unit and the next thing on the list is the "Beam of Light" phonograph assy. I was just wondering where the rubber transmission parts can be gotten? The idler and the speed control assy has "rottenrubberitis" and of course must be redone. I was thinking of Gib over at West Tech Services to do the job. Has anyone had good experiences with his work? I know he did pretty good by me with my RCA EY-45 rubber renewal, I hope it would be the same with Philco products.

Also, in general, what's the degree of difficulty getting the Beam of Light reproducer up and running again.

Ruminations welcome....
...Jim

if you google for philco beam of light there was one guy that showed a nice restoration of the rubber drive parts using various rubber items that are easily available. I will try to look up the link I have but the person did a great job in detailing how to do it. Also look at Chuck's site "philco repair bench" it it does cover the pick up repair.

I think this is the link you are looking for...

http://www3.sympatico.ca/belanger.eric/R...2-1008.htm

And a link to info on Chuck's site...

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/phono.htm

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanx Ron....

Those ideas about the speed control assy is pretty much the same thing I came up with. Gib is going to do the tone arm assy as well as the flocking on the platter. He also mention he *may* have the speed control knob as well. I hope so.
Now I need to figure a way to construct the rubber motor mounts. The ones on this job are flattened down to nothing and I'll have to figure the height dimensions to homebrew a set.

There was a fellow in the San Fran. area who was rebuilding the bell/idler wheel assy's but when I got in touch with him he said he stopped doing it because of his age. I'd like to get the dimensions from him and check out the degree of difficulty in making these units. To me, it looks mostly like lathe work.

...Jim