Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 89 Detector Coil

This one has an open primary. Is it possible to rewind or is there someone that does rewinding? P/N is 32-1063.

Any coil an be rewound.
Those 1-layer on a large diameter bobbin are not bad at all.

That's good news. What is the wire size?

Thank you,

Hi Dale,

There are several threads pertaining to model 89 coil rewinding under the electronic restoration tab. You can do a search or scroll through the threads under that tab. This one might be somewhat helpful: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=8753

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

The best way is simply to measure it with calipers or a micrometer.

Wach your direction, count turns, and try to replicate geometry as close as possible, meaning lengtsh of windings and location of them on the bobbin / relative to each other.
This way you duplicate both the inductive coupling and inductances.

Take photos / make sketches.
If just one winding is open, and the other looks good, no green stuff etc, rewind just one.
There is something about baking old bobbins....I don't but maybe there is something good in doing it.

I was able to repair the detector coil primary and the 44 gets plate voltage now. Primary resistance is 1.4 Ohms.
When I apply a large signal to the antenna connection, it is visible at the 44 grid but all that appears at the 44 plate is a small amount of the modulating signal and no RF. Voltages are correct and 44 tube is good. Suggestions?

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/877/M0013877.htm

Thank you,

I think what you see is OK.
Are you receiving or are you able to pass moulated RF signal from your gen and hear the tone?

My input level is +10 dBm from a signal generator.

Signal is greater at the 77 grid. Oscillator dead, can anyone guess the cause? Correct, the Oscillator coil is bad. Yes, the tickler that I have read about. Took the coil out, verified the open, counted the turns with a needle (tedious) and measured the wire size to be #36. Will wind tomorrow. Thank you for the help.

Oscillator coil tickler section rewound. Radio working fine. Thanks for your patience.

Great news ! Congratulations !