Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

For a novel...A suggestion of a Canadian Philco Console from the 30s-40s?

Hello,

I'm writing a novel which is, in part, about a retiring opera reviewer (in his mid-60s) who is in his Toronto home, listening to a 2006 CBC radio broadcast of Wagner's ring cycle. He's got a tivoli in his kitchen, and a big listening room in his basement (wouldn't we all just love that?), but I wanted him to have a third, vintage radio (+/- turntable) in his home office, proper. I like the look of the philco consoles from the 40s, and that there are canadian models to choose from makes it all the more ideal. So, I am looking for some suggestions as to what kind of vintage Canadian Philco console that this fellow might own, it's basic features, and, if possible, some links to some pictures...

Really, I just have two questions:

1) Would a vintage philco console play FM radio?
Aside from my question about which model to choose (below), I'd like to know whether or not a vintage console would serve as mere decoration or if it could actually play the FM stations he's listenign to. Would anyone with a lovely old console, say from the 30s or 40s, be able to tap into an FM radio station today - from 90 to 99.9FM? Sorry to bother you with my novice question, here, but at what point in time did FM become an option on a console or other radio made by Philco in Canada? Ie. Without any workarounds/modifications, what age and vintage of console radio would one need to be able to pick up a CBC Toronto radio broadcast? And do people who treasure console radios that, say, pre-date FM actually make modifications to make them "current"/playable now if they aren't already?

2) More importantly, what vintage philco canadian console model from the 30's/40s would be properly "drool-worthy" for a collector to read about in a novel/come across in someone's house?
Even If I can't have my guy end up listening to the FM radio broadcast of the opera on his vintage console, (he can always have it pumped in from the mothership downstairs!) what Canadian model of Philco console might I choose (a pic would be great) that he could have inherited from his parents (who would have purchased it post-wwII) or, his grandparents (who would have purchased it pre wwII.)? IE what would be a fantastic Canadian Philco Console model / something of a collector's piece for a music-minded guy in his 60s-70s to keep in his Toronto home? Let's just say money wouldn't have been scarce, but not dripping from grandad's pockets, either?? Any suggestions of a Philco model/pics that people who really know their radio stuff would go gaga over if it ended up in a novel?

Thanks for any and all responses!
Rose

Well, any nice old console could be fitted with an FM tuner that could be kept out of sight, and would play nicely. And you could blend the stereo outputs into mono, or operate whatever in mono mode. Even a modest little FM radio could be made to do this job, and provided the proper remote antenna was arranged, it would play just fine in the basement. And if you're talking about converting an old set that tuned the original FM band vs current one, yeah it's been done, although I've not tried it myself.
Also quite a few have gone to little home based modulators that can tke whatever (AM/FM/Tape/CD/Computer) audio input and create your own home (very limited range) AM radio station.

So far as which vintage model you might like, well this forum as well as others have lots of pictures, descriptions, and other information available. Well, anyway, you can narrow your search to the appropriate vintage if you care to be quite particular.

You can also get a rough idea of what they might set you back on the net or places like Ebay or Craig's list. In a lot of cases, the cost of packaging and transporting larger sets can easily double or triple the intrinsic value, and proper restoration inside and out is also an issue, but if you find a gem and a willing seller, I'd say best bet might be a piano mover, and clarify delivery instructions, like inside delivery, which floor, etc... Restoration is another matter, mostly senior local hobbiests with a little spare time for the "guts" and furniture restorers for the outside.

Also, if you are able or have a willing recruit, scout around the thrift shops, yard sales, and yeah, trash night in your area -- you never know! Happy hunting and best of luck with your book!

As I understand you are just writing a book, not actually restoring an old radio. Someone can correct me if im wrong but post war radios have the current FM Band and pre-war radios had the old FM band which isnt used anymore. You can look here.. http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/index.htm#list , for pictures of old philco radios. Im not sure which were also offered in canada but im sure someone will chime in.

So, assuming the radio was still in working order or had been restored, a post war model would pick up FM stations, and even a pre-war console could be fitted with some sort of FM tuner to do the same?

As codefox said its possible to retrofit an old radio with another tuner, mpeg player etc if you know how. It's just a matter of knowing what you are doing with electronics. Some of the older radios had FM but they used a different frequency at first. Now a days they just use different frequencies than at first so there is nothing being transmitted on the older FM band.

(09-30-2014, 06:07 PM)roseye Wrote:  So, assuming the radio was still in working order or had been restored, a post war model would pick up FM stations, and even a pre-war console could be fitted with some sort of FM tuner to do the same?
Basically, yes, that is correct.  The post war models would pick up the current FM band and a pre-war radio could be fitted with any number of aftermarket FM tuners to do the same.  I can't help you with desirable Canadian radios, but I'm sure one of the Canadian members will chime in shortly.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

As far as I know Philco Products of Canada did not market any radios equipped with an FM band prior to the mid to late 1940s, when exactly I can't be sure without checking the Radio College Manuals but possibly 1947. I can't comment on drool factor but I think that the Canadian built versions of the 16s, 116s, and the 37-116 and 38-116 would have been the highest end radios built under the Philco name in Canada now if you wanted to get into other makes or models produced in Canada that's a different story.
Regards
Arran

Hello Rose.

I am located near Montréal, Québec.
And I am the proud owner of a restaured Philco 47-1230 - that used to be top-of-the-line back in 1947.

Canada had canadian model philco, but also US ones. Sometimes the canadian models were almost identical to american ones too. But, Philco of Canada was made mainly to help with canadian supply, not be the only supplier of Philco Radio.

That being said, the radio I have is a US model 47-1230 but was sold in canadian soil somewhere in Montreal in the late 40s.
I specify that model mainly because it had a great sound, with its amp design being still very similar to what you see on modern tube amps (such as modern hybrid guitar amps) and also because it has the "modern" FM

- I listend to hockey and music on my "stock" (restaured) philco, with no modifications.
The 47-1230 had AM, FM, Shortware and a 78rpm record changer.
If you want to have a radio that is majestic, top of the line, have good audiophonics and be suitable for a listening room, it could be a good model for that.

here's a picture of my radio pre-restauration
[Image: http://www.radiomuseum.org/images/radio/...019191.jpg]

There are other canadian-based radio company such as Addison, Marconi or RCA/Victor but most radios were smaller sized and lesser tube count; for a "listening room" quality radio, I'd think you prefer higher-end?

-Mars

Thank you all for your comments. And, thank you, Mars, for the fantastic description of your 47!
Rose

its my pleasure. I really like that radio, the cabinet is awesome. It doesn't look out of place in modern setup, and have a classy feel.

If you ever decide on using 47-1230, and need anything specific like pictures or whatever, shoot me a PM with your email.

-Mars