Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-15 Dial Stringing and 2nd If transformer

I have a Philco 38-15 radio that I need the 2nd IF transformer. The secondary winding is open. It should ohm out a 4 ohms according to the specs. Does anyone know where I can find one? Can I replace it with another one similar if I can't find an exact match? The Philco part number is 32-2674. This one mounts under the chassis but I can put one on the topside where the electrolytics mount. Is it possible to rewind the bad side of the coil? I also need dial stringing diagram. A hand sketch or a picture would be great.
Thank you very much!
Kevin

I would likely be impractical to rewind the IF coil, since one from a parts chassis could likely be found, but I would remove the IF coil, melt some of the wax off, and see if there any visible breaks near the ends of the secondary winding?
Regards
Arran

Thanks Arran, I will try that and let you know what I find!

I took the coil out of the chassis and heated the wax paper covering with the soldering iron to get it to come off. The connections at the coil were good but it looks like the side of the coil had been nicked or maybe burnt. Its hard to tell without a magnifying glass. The nicked spot is darker than the rest of the coil and it feels rough or prickly like the end of a wire. I don't think I can fix it so I need a replacement if anyone has one they want to sell.
        Thanks,
                  Kevin

Attached Files Image(s)