Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 16B Dial Problem

Hi folks,

I have run into kind of a weird problem with a Philco 16B cathedral that I am working on.  I am trying to reassemble the dial mechanism.  I have everything polished and ready to go.  But, when I put the chassis back in the cabinet, the dial is rubbing on the top of the escutcheon and will not move.

I took the chassis back out and looked at the case.  It looks like the escutcheon is sloped at an angle towards the back.  But, the only replacement dials that I can find are completely flat.  It looks like the original dial may have been concave in order give the dial room to turn.

When I bought the radio, the original dial was heavily warped.  So, I tried the trick of using an iron to flatten out it out.  It seemed to work.  But, now I am thinking that maybe it worked too well!

Is there something that I am missing here?  Is there some way to get the dial to bend backward to clear the escutcheon?  I have included some pictures below.

Thanks

Check for missing or deteriorated chassis mounting cushions and/or positioning prongs.

Joe