Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 610 bakelite block

I gutted the bakelite block for condenser C23, and now I'm not sure how the replacement capacitors are supposed to be connected.  This is Part No. 4989-FU, with 0.09 and 0.01 mfd capacitors.  This block does not have an electrical ground connection to the fastener.  Can someone help?

If you go to The Philco Repair Bench site you should be able to find all the info that you need.
                                  Henry

Ron also has some info posted on Philco Radio including a the Service Bulletin No. 289 datasheet.  Note that 4989-FG is listed but not the FU version.  The U means the #1 lug in NOT grounded and otherwise the capacitor values should be as listed in the chart and connected as noted in the diagram.  Check the schematic to make sure this makes sense as they are occasionally wired differently.

You may want to check the service bulletins for your set. Schematic sez the .1 does go to gnd.
Terry

Thanks for the link. The way my radio is hooked up, the .01 capacitor would have been wired between lugs 2 and 3, not 1 and 2. Plus I get a ground at lug 3, not 1. So it appears the wiring was done correctly per shematic, just backward at the bakelite block.

Good Job. If no one has said Welcome I did! Best of luck w/your 610 it a good performer for a smaller set. I'm sure you'll enjoy it when you get it all together. Is it a table or console model?
Terry

Thanks, Terry. This is a table model. Waiting in the queue are three consoles --- 37-620, 90, 91, and a tabletop 20. I'm hooked. 35 years ago I restored a fully working 42-1013, that now needs a full electronic restoration.

I've got the 37-620 in a chairside set. The cabinet is pretty beat and haven't gotten around to get it running again. 90 and 91are great sets the only bad thing is they only cover the BC band no SW for the most part. The later 91's have the old police band. The 20 is an excellent sounding set of you hookup a good pm speaker to it. I found that out when I was doing some troubleshooting just disconnected the V/C and wired it to a 8 or 10" modern speaker
Terry