Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Also a newbie

I'm attempting to become familiar with a Philco Transitone clock radio that my family gave to me on the occasion of my 60th birthday. This is my first vintage radio. I had mentioned a casual interest in trying to locate a 1954 model year radio. Now I have one!
My question: Where do I start?
I did do a search for pictures of this era Philco radio. What I come up with is a Model #53-701X. The radio pictured seems to be very close to what I have, but not exactly. Should I be looking for something like a # 54-701X?
I'm wondering if anybody could help me to get started on my familiarity of this clock radio? Will I be able to locate an original set of directions for this radio?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Bill Steach
bsteach@sbcglobal.net

Hello and welcome!

You can find pictures of 1954 model Philcos here:

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1954.htm

I looked up the 53-701 to familiarize myself with what you are looking for. If your Philco truly is a 1954 model, it should be either model B710 or B711. It was at the beginning of the 1954 season that Philco stopped using the model year prefixes and switched to a letter system (B=1954, C=1955, D=1956. etc.).

http://www.philcoradio.com/age.htm

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Bill, welcome to the Phorum!!   Icon_wave  Lots of friendly people here always happy to answer questions. Of course you realize this may be your first in a long series of radios.  Once bitten by the bug it's hard to give it up!  

Bill

Even if the radio is restored, be carefull operating it, Transitones are mostly AC/DC sets without transformers and present some hazard when used near grounded objects or in basements.
GFI outlet helps.

Mike

PS. If it has not been restored, do not attempt plugging it in.

Welcome. Sri I don't have anything to offer regarding that particular radio but, again, welcome, and you have come to the right place..

-Also Bill

WELCOME!!

Welcome aboard and good luck with your radio.

Welcome Bill! This may be your first old radio but I doubt it will be your last.

Gregb

(10-08-2014, 01:27 PM)bsteach@sbcglobal.net Wrote:  I'm attempting to become familiar with a Philco Transitone clock radio that my family gave to me on the occasion of my 60th birthday. This is my first vintage radio. I had mentioned a casual interest in trying to locate a 1954 model year radio. Now I have one!
My question: Where do I start?
I did do a search for pictures of this era Philco radio. What I come up with is a Model #53-701X. The radio pictured seems to be very close to what I have, but not exactly. Should I be looking for something like a # 54-701X?
I'm wondering if anybody could help me to get started on my familiarity of this clock radio? Will I be able to locate an original set of directions for this radio?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Bill Steach
bsteach@sbcglobal.net

Thank you for the greetings. I appreciate it. I imagine vintage radio collecting could become a bit of a hobby. I hope that I will keep my new venture in proper balance! Now I will now peruse the 1957 product line in an attempt to acquire one that is from my wife's birth year. Any recommendations?
Thank you also, Ron, for steering me directly to the 1954 models. My radio certainly appears to be a B710 rather than the depicted B711.
I do have a question. On the Sessions Movement clock, mine has a plug, or a blank cover, at the six o'clock position, whereas on the B-711 model there is a knob. Any information on an additional feature that is not on my clock?
Many thanks,
Bill
Sonoma, CA