Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

84B Restoration - update-Touchdown!

It looks very good Bob.  Would you share what process you used to make the resistors?

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Bob nice work!!

John

I think Russ wrote a post on that. He does that all the time.
Question 

John, I used a process I found on the net, although I'd have to search a bit to relocate it. (UPDATE- I found the thread, its our own Steve Davis' thread).  I take the barrel of a cheap Bic pen that is the right diameter and cut it to the right length.  With a hack saw blade I make a notch in both ends about 1/16 " so I can feed the leads through and then make two wraps around the tube (pen barrel).  I take the modern resistor and tack on buss wire (20 Guage if I recall corectly) such that the buss wire is soldered very close to the body of the resistor. This makes the buss wire the new leads for the restored resistor and of the right size and length to allow for the two wraps around the tube plus however much lead you need.  Slide the modern resistor into the tube, wrap twice at each end.   I then add a little solder to the two wrapped leads, just enough to flow solder to link the coils but be careful or you melt the tube. I plug each end with a little epoxy putty (the type that is a roll you cut and knead the two sections together.) I rough up the plastic with sand paper, paint with appropriate color and install.  In another radio I've made the type of resistor with the silver colored ends but in that case I made a mold out of epoxy putty and created the restored resistor with a mold technique....again, not my idea, but from a net search. Russ (Phlogiston) does outstanding restorations so I'll have to find the thread morzh mentioned. 

Thanks Bob, I recall now the Bic pen method.  I think your other method with epoxy putty is the same (or similar) to the one posted on Radio Museum:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/replica...stors.html

It seems like if you're going to re-stuff capacitors then the next step is to recreate the resistors that need to be replaced, although I have not yet given that a try.  Thanks for sharing! 

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John, I was adding the radio museum link and Steve Davis' Bic pen link while you responded  Icon_smile  I think this is the link that morzh was thinking of.  The resistor discussion is on page 2.

Ron. Maybe Steve's dogbone thread should be in the "helpful restoration tips" section?