Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

42-327

Just completed restoration on this neat little table model. Here are some before pics:

And here are some after pics. I managed to bring the original finish back to life on the wood cabinet without any refinishing.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

A few more after restoration pics:

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Beautiful! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I like the look of these, real nice.

I bet she performs pretty good, that 7 tube chassis, any DX reports? Looks sharp, good luck with it Greg.

Paul

Tubetalk1

These only have six tubes actually, they use two IF amplifiers and a weird twin triode for a mixer oscillator. One common issue these sets have is the grille bars can fall off, and many of the dial glasses have the paint bubbled and falling off the back of the dial glass, but it seems to depend on the production run. Radio Daze carries the dial, but it's something like $32, so if you find one with a bad glass pay as little as possible for it, or find one with a good scale.
Regards
Arran

Nice work Greg!!

If the dial glass' paint hasnt't bubbled after all these years it was probably the "good" production run Icon_smile so no worries.

I just finished mine also. I had to recreate the dial. I had a sticker made. The colors aren't perfect, but I think it came out good.
[attachment=5723]    

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Very nice. That ended up having a great original finish on it  Icon_thumbup 

Thanks everyone. Yes, I considered myself very fortunate that the dial glass was in such pristine condition. I know all too well how these 1941 - 42 Philco table models are prone to paint loss on the dial glass. I treated it with kid gloves when I removed it to work on the cabinet Icon_lol It performs great on both broadcast band and shortwave. No issues. I have to program the pushbuttons yet at some point, and for now just added some 'dummy' station ID tabs....until this dummy actually sets them to local stations! 8)

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

(10-11-2014, 09:10 PM)Eric Adams Wrote:  I just finished mine also. I had to recreate the dial. I had a sticker made. The colors aren't perfect, but I think it came out good.

The dial looks great. Stickers seem to be the way to go when missing paint on a glass dial. They usually light up nice as well.

I would sooner go the repro dial route, I've tried printing off dial scales, and while they are better then nothing when there is no alternative, but in this case they used a metalic paint on the dial that you just can't reproduce easily, same with the white lettering. It is not every dial that suffers from the flaking paint, and it is not related to storage or handling, it's just that one production run happened to use a bad batch of dials. For example my set has most of it's original finish, other then it had some damage on the top, and the dial was flaking, but I have seen other examples with flaking lacquer from damp storage where the paint on the dial was perfect. One interesting thing to note is that some of these apparently used Tenite pushbuttons whilst my set and the 42-327 the original poster has used Bakelite pushbuttons.
Regards
Arran

I had it done in reverse. Once I put it on the glass I found that with the light behind it, it was too transparent. I had to mask off the center section and sprayed 2 coats of ivory paint on it.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL

I see what you mean, Arran. Considering I was able to get the sticker made for less than 1/3 the price of a repro glass, I went with the sticker.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL