Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Next case - Odd Philco 42-720 Tropic

Those production sample electrolytic caps are fascinating! It's always an added bonus to find a component...any component...in a radio that has a date stamped or written on it. And the fact that these are in fountain pen handwriting is very cool!

I had a thread on reflocking the turntable on my 47-1230 a few years back, and you might be able to do the same for your dial backing plate: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=5231

And, with such a grapic-intensive dial glass, I would think a Radio Daze reproduction would be the way to go. I inquired with them about the dial glass on my little AA5 Crosley a couple of weeks ago and they told me it would cost $39 (a larger dial like yours may or may not cost more) and take at least 4 weeks out because of backlog. Since I only paid $10 for the radio, and since it's not really a very valuable radio even in restored condition, I opted to scan my dial instead. Todd on this phorum (tab10672) did some amazing restoration work on it. Then I just printed it out on ink jet clear decal paper, and applied it to a freshly cut piece of plexi-glass (or lexan) and installed it in the cabinet.

Good luck with this new project, Ron. Always fun following along with your progress...you take great photos! Icon_thumbup

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next case - Odd Philco 42-720 Tropic - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 10-19-2014, 09:01 PM
RE: Next case - Odd Philco 42-720 Tropic - by sam - 10-30-2014, 02:55 AM