Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Next case - Odd Philco 42-720 Tropic

Ron;
  It looks like Philco punched a hole in the chassis where wires would normally come out the other side of the transformer, but then they decided to block the hole with something. With regard to mounting, that is a tricky issue, the first one I linked to is the Edcore XPWR008, the width at the bell ends is 3.22'', the space between mounting holes on the ears of each bell is 2.5'', the maximum length from the outside of one bell to the next is 4.189''. The distance between the mounting holes from one bell to the next is 2.955'', I'm not sure whether that is between centers or the maximum or minimum as they look elongated or slotted, I think it may be minimum as the holes for the leads are exactly 3'' from center to center. 
  For the Edcor XPWR014, the end bells are the same as the XPWR008, with the mounting holes at 2.5'' on center. The maximum length of the transformer is 3.435'' so more then 1/2'' shorter, and the slots are marked as 2.201'', which I think is a minimum measurement given that the holes for the wires are 2.246'' on center. For the Edcor XPWR049, the one with the 6 amp rectifier winding, the dimensions are the same as the XPWR008. It looks like any way you go there is going to be some drilling and tapping involved. 
   Since most of the transformers looked at have a H.V winding that exceeds the original in current capacity, except that the net high voltage will likely be higher then the ratings posted, except for the Edcor XPW014 which has it's rated at 75 ma. What I would like to see are more reproduction power transformers with a horizontal mounting, that style was popular with many radio manufacturers.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next case - Odd Philco 42-720 Tropic - by sam - 10-30-2014, 02:55 AM
RE: Next case - Odd Philco 42-720 Tropic - by Arran - 11-04-2014, 03:50 AM