Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Next case - Odd Philco 42-720 Tropic

Sorry to hear you had bad luck with this, Ron. My only suggestion would be to start from bare metal and don't spray paint it first. I can't say for sure if painting affects how the glue adheres, as I've always just started with bare metal. Then apply a nice even coat of Super 77 and let it 'cure' for a few minutes before pouring the flocking material liberally over the glued area you want flocked. It's important...as you found out... to NOT touch the flocked area before the glue dries. Don't be alarmed if there are 'high' spots or the flocking is uneven. As long as everything you want flocked is covered with flocking material you're good to go. You can always shake off the excess and/or lightly wipe over it with a finger once the glue is dry.

I've flocked two turntables this way... a 47-1230 and a 49-1401. Both came out decent. The nice thing (if you can call it nice) is that you can reuse all of the excess flocking that shakes off or misses the item. I used a box when flocking...one with shorter sides...and placed the (in my case) turntable platters in the box (after spray gluing on a separate piece of flat cardboard) to shake the flocking material over it and collect the excess.

Good luck...don't get discouraged. You won't ruin anything if it doesn't turn out right. You can always remove the flocking. We use that Super 77 adhesive spray where I work to glue felt onto aluminum chucks that hold cookware pieces to sand the insides and buff finish the outsides. It's a strong glue... some chucks I felted back in 2005 still have their felt strongly adhered to them, despite the nearly 10 years of constant use. 3M makes a spray glue remover in a black can with blue lettering. Can't remember the part number offhand but it works great to remove the glue. Smells like an orange.

I remember the dial back plate on my 48-475 was also flocked and in poor condition. I didn't want to remove the whole thing to reflock it...mainly because I am not a big fan of dial string re-stringing and this one was a doozy...so I scraped off the old flocking, masked it off, and sprayed it with a dark brown primer. The matte finish looked decent, and with the dial glass on, it was nearly impossible to tell it wasn't flocked. That might be another alternative for you.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next case - Odd Philco 42-720 Tropic - by sam - 10-30-2014, 02:55 AM
RE: Next case - Odd Philco 42-720 Tropic - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 11-12-2014, 08:32 PM