Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Next case - Odd Philco 42-720 Tropic

Sean - thanks, excellent tip re: the burl walnut Di-Noc! Icon_thumbup

Chuck - not bad, but I don't know...

Mike (PhilcoMike) - well, there are a few prototypes floating around. Maybe more than a few. I recall some years ago that someone, I think it was Doug Houston, telling me about a model 16 chassis that had more than the usual four controls on it. The 43-720 prototype on Michael Feldt's site is another example. He told me that he has since sold that radio; I wish I had known that he was going to sell as I would have tried to acquire it.

Anyway...I own a 16-122 chassis that is rubber stamped "Property of P. R. & T. Corp." on the back; it had been removed from a 16L cabinet like the one shown here. And I also have a 46-421 prototype that has a very different cabinet than that which went into production. My 46-421 has a small typewritten paper inside like Mike Feldt's 43-720.

As to how they ended up in the hands of the public, I can only guess. Some lucky engineers or other Philco employees had the privilege of taking these home, obviously. From then, they were used to a greater or less extent. Some, like Mike Feldt's 43-720, were taken care of very well; others, like my 42-720, were used and abused until they suffered catastrophic failure (shorted 6X5 and power transformer in the case of my 42-720).

Had my 42-720 been in the same shape as Mike Feldt's radio, or nearly so, I would never have touched the chassis as I have indicated previously. I went ahead and rebuilt my 42-720 because it was so worn out and obviously abused.

And you're right - these days, prototypes are usually destroyed almost as soon as they are built. Back then, I guess once they served their purpose at the Philco factory, they were seen as just more products to be put to good use by someone.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next case - Odd Philco 42-720 Tropic - by sam - 10-30-2014, 02:55 AM
RE: Next case - Odd Philco 42-720 Tropic - by Ron Ramirez - 12-04-2014, 11:47 AM