Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco chassis fit

Does anyone know if a model 60 philco chassis will fit into a model 620 tombstone cabinet? Thank you

The thankful receiver bears a plentiful harvest.

Why not just get a model 620 chassis and speaker for the 620 cabinet? The model 60 could possibly be made to fit but it will always look like a hack job, for one thing the dial is smaller.
Regards
Arran

Yes, the dial of a 60 is much smaller than the 620 dial. Besides, I'm not sure that the tuning shaft would fit properly. I no longer own a 60 or 620 so I can't measure.

620 chassis are not hard to find. Better yet, get a 630 chassis, remove its shadowmeter and bypass it with a 1000 ohm resistor. The 630 runs a higher B+ so it produces another watt or two of audio output.

I had a 630B with a rough cabinet, and an empty 610T "Big Bullet" cabinet. I now have a hybrid 610T with 630 chassis. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Speaking of 620B and 630B cabinets, if anyone has an empty one they want to part with, I may be interested, I think that the 623 battery set used the same. I have one that someone gave me a s a gift year ago, and whilst the radio works well someone went at the cabinet with a sander. The friend who gave it to me tried to fix it up, most of the damage is covered by a dark stain, but the pilaster moldings on the front were ground down pretty badly. I could probably repair it if I had replacement moldings, but it's probably easier to find an empty cabinet. Then again I could do what Ron did and find an empty bullet cabinet.
Regards
Arran