Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

39.116 radio

Picked up a 39-116 yesterday with 2 rough remotes.
Wondering if the remotes are required to operate the radio?
I don't see anythin on the radio to specify remote or manual operation.
Brought it up on my variac and the tubes and lights glowed.
Just got static, but there was audio.
Cabinet needs work, and I think the chassis and speaker is repairable.
Not too crazy about the cabinet style, but it was Philcos top of the line in 39.
Are the batteries still available for the remote?
murf

Murf, from what I've read you can operate the radio without the Mystery Control (remote) but I don't own one.  Be sure to see Chuck's info on the control

I would not continue operating this thing until you replace the leads on the power transformer, or you might end up with fireworks followed by a smoke show.
Regards
Arran

The remote is not required for operation of the radio.

You will note that the volume control thumbwheel is not a conventional control. You push it up to turn the radio on and increase volume; push downward on the thumbwheel to decrease volume and/or turn the set off.

No, original batteries are no longer available, but you can roll your own if you have the proper connector. Bill Morris in Indy used to make reproduction batteries, but he no longer does this. Send a PM to Phorum member "mikethedruid" for advice - he has made at least one, perhaps more, reproduction batteries and he can tell you how to make one for yourself.

Finally - +1 on Arran's advice to replace the power transformer leads. You can use heat shrink tubing to resleeve each lead. You must do this as the 1939 Philco power transformers have wire leads with rubber-covered wires, and these are the most prone to drying out and crumbling. Ignore our advice and it is a question of when - not if - the power transformer shorts out. And that transformer has extra windings not used in non-Mystery Control Philco sets, so it is imperative to preserve the original if at all possible.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ok, thanks for the info guy's.
Guess I will be doing some re-wiring to start with.
murf

Murf Lets see a picture of your pickup.