Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42-1008 WITH BOL- Challenges for all

I have been working on a 42-1008 that I picked up at a flea market for only $5, which seemed great at the time, since it was complete, but definitely needed some work.  The first challenge is that the power transformer was shorted, so, thanks to "the bay", I found a replacement chassis for cheap, and do the swap.  I got the unit to play great on all bands, loud and clear, then on to the BOL changer. 
This was the first time I had a changer with a bad motor.  It would power up, but I could not, after disassembly and cleaning, get that to spin correctly.  Thanks to craigslist, someone had a 42-1013 chassis and all the guts including the changer for $30, so I grabbed them.  To my amazement, this BOL changer, other than needing a thorough cleaning and a rebuild of the idler ( $50), works perfectly!. 

After about 2 months of playing it occasionally, and with the original selinium cell, bulb, etc, ( it plays EXCELLENT with a nice boomy bass as it is known ), the bulb goes out on it.  I opened up the head, and in trying to get the socket out, it literally disintegrates in my hand, all rusted out, and broken.  Now I am really aggravated.  Fortunately, going back to the original bad changer, I was able to get the socket and bulb, do a gentle swap, and realignment.. I am happy to report that I am back in business playing again just like old times.    These BOL players are definitely not for anyone who gives up easily or does not have spare parts.    I am hooked on them and am now working on a 42-1015, which has its own unique challenges, but that mahogany cabinet and BOL changer do look neat.  Thanks for reading.

Congrats!  Icon_clap Icon_clap