Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42-1008P What is this?

Looks like on capcitor 8a. Almost like they lost the washer and put in place some bandage type material.

This can't be stock but how does this happen???

[Image: http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b519...252691.jpg]

Looks like they lost the mica insulator and put in a rag. People have "rigged" things in worse ways.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

(11-02-2014, 11:17 AM)Phlogiston Wrote:  Looks like they lost the mica insulator and put in a rag. People have "rigged" things in worse ways.

But its only where the washer should be. That I can tell anyway.

(11-02-2014, 10:36 PM)Edisla Wrote:  
(11-02-2014, 11:17 AM)Phlogiston Wrote:  Looks like they lost the mica insulator and put in a rag. People have "rigged" things in worse ways.

But its only where the washer should be. That I can tell anyway.

SO I took that gauze out and put a metal washer in place like the other and I couldn't tune in anything. It was shorting or something.

I then put in a fiber washer and all was fine.

Did this variable originally have some none metallic washer???

Can't tell from picture, but if it seems to be a structural support that needs to be insulated from the basket, as stators often are, a ceramic insulator would be best, (and replace missing scrrew?) but if you can trace the schematic and logic leads you to conclude it is a trimmer capacitor gone missing, well that's another story. Also could be unneeded (duplicate) connection to the stator. Dunno.

I'll post a pic shortly but something just seems off w/ this 8, 8A variable cap.
Photo 

So here is part 8, 8A

8 is at bottom and 8A is top.

8 has one terminal and 8A has two.

Where a second terminal on 8 would be is not there but the folded over metal on that side looks like it would be touching the mounting bracket.

The mounting bracket is connected to the chassis on each end. If it is in fact touching I don't see how that is good.

That and the threaded brass sections look VERY close to the bracket if not touching already. If those two caps are connecting together via the screw mounts I don't see how that can be good.

ignore the one variables missing screw I was checking something when I took pic.

[Image: http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b519...1431fe.jpg]

Looking it over further its probably just me not understanding the construction of these parts. I think its clearing up a bit.

Still not sure why a metal washer on the one seemed to be shorting out.

Investigating further.

Ok so I'm guessing I was right in putting the non conductive washer on this screw for 8A or you will short one of the sections to ground. Schematic shows no ground on 8A that I can see.

Anyone have a 42-1008, 42-1009 on the bench they can look at the washers for those to caps?

I don't have one of those models, but looking at the schematic, one end of (8 ) is clearly connected to ground while (8A) is ungrounded. So it makes sense that (8A) requires a non-conductive washer under the screw. The screw and its bushing are grounded. If the screw (or a metal washer under it) touches the plate of the trimmer, it grounds it. So, yes...a non-metallic (plastic) washer is required here.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(02-12-2015, 07:15 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  I don't have one of those models, but looking at the schematic, one end of (8 ) is clearly connected to ground while (8A) is ungrounded. So it makes sense that (8A) requires a non-conductive washer under the screw. The screw and its bushing are grounded. If the screw (or a metal washer under it) touches the plate of the trimmer, it grounds it. So, yes...a non-metallic (plastic) washer is required here.

Exactly.

I'm guessing at some point the original washer deteriorated and someone put in that bandage looking material to keep it from shorting.