Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 620

Wow, What a web site. I've picked up a lot of info but now I have a Model 620 that is kicking my rear. A year ago I recapped the set and it was working fine. It was put away until I could get to the cabinet and now it has failed. No audio was being heard until I touched the grid of the IF tube. I suspected the IF coil but it has good continuity. All tube voltages appear good but if I touch the plate of the 6A7 Det/Osc with a meter probe the radio plays fine. I hope that all of the Philco knowledge out there can point me in the right direction. Thanks to this web site I was able to stop the squeal by rounding up four tube shields that the radio did not come with. Thanks in advance for the help that I know will come.

Dave D

Hi Dave,

I think I would check continuity on the antenna coil. Also clean the band switch with contact spray. Your meter I think was acting as an antenna. It's a start.

Terry

Terry, Thanks for your assistance. You had it nailed. The antenna coil was fine and I cleaned the band switch with no success. I was checking continuity of the switch and found the broadcast band tab was not making good contact with the wafer. Some more cleaning and a little bending of the tab and the 620 lives again. Now I have to get on that cabinet and get this radio finished. Next project is a 37-650 that is going to be a money pit This is a fantastic site and once again, Thank You for your help.

Dave D

Hi Dave,

Great to hear you got it playing. I would really be interested to see the finished product. Icon_biggrin

Terry