Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Canada 39 or 41-722 Tropic

(11-13-2014, 07:34 AM)mikethedruid Wrote:  I am not sure, and don't have the records handy to check, but one reason for the difference between US and Canadian wire type, rubber covered vs. cloth covered, could be a difference between UL and CSA requirements at the time.

I suspected as much.

But what I find really interesting is that the IF transformers have/had rubber-covered leads! So I can't help but wonder how many of the parts were actually imported from USA Philco and then assembled into radios in Canada.

The two electrolytic capacitor cans in my 39, as well as the lone bakelite block, are all stamped "Made in U.S.A."

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

No, the Canadian electrical code had nothing to do with the lack of rubber wire in Canadian built Philcos, Rogers as well as Canadian RCA and G.E used yards of the stuff in that era, especially Rogers which used almost nothing but rubber wire, except for external wires, it it were illegal then none of them would have used rubber wire.
Regards
Arran

Ron,
  We are all at various levels of knowlege and experience. I have had an interest in old radios for 50+ years. I really enjoy making them come to life again. Also I enjoy listening to and looking at them. However I never gave a lot of thought to " restoration " and certainly never seriously considered restuffing a capacitor just for looks.
  After joining this forum and seeing what others do and how it is done I better understand some aspects of why people go to that length. So I say keep up with the resoration articles because they are enjoyable and educational.
                                     Thanks for all you do.
                                                     Henry

Henry

Thank you! I've been messing around with vintage radios for a little over 40 years now, since I was 14 years old. You do the math. 14 + 40 = old. Icon_lol

(and don't tell anyone, but I once experimented with restuffing paper caps using melted wax, decided it was too much work, and abandoned the idea until just recently, when I started restuffing paper caps again, using hot glue instead of wax to reseal them.) Icon_wink

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ro,
 Your secret is safe with me.
                      Henry