Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 16B

What does the pull out knob, speed reduction mechanism, look like? Is it similar to the RCA/G.E ones from 1933-35 with a claw that grabs a disk when you push it in for high speed tuning?
Regards
Arran

Arran

You can see an illustration of the Philco drive here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/drive.htm

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I see, a little more complex, probably smoother action as well, so long as the rubber tires are good. One common fault I see in many of these Philco dial drives is that the have the control shaft routed through a hole in an 3/32'' to 1/8'' steel bracket without any bearing or bushing, it may not matter in the 16 but the older ones sometimes get worn in that area,  the old gets elongated and the shaft ends up with a groove. As I mentioned in another thread I don't think that any of these sets, except the top end ones like Capeharts and McMurdos, were intended to be in service more then 20 years. Now they don't build houses to last any longer then about that.
Regards
Arran

They are smooth running. The only type I like better is the automatic tuning sets. When properly lubricated they are very accurate and very easy to turn.

I'm a bit late coming in on this but, great find! Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.