Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1929 model 87 help

Hey all restoring a family heirloom. Cabinet just done looks great ! Now for the insides. I used nostalgia air. I will be replacing tubes. I'm fairly confident I can re cap. I figured I would do one at a time until I'm done. I need to know to align the unit. And how should I grease the dial shafts and various pivot points. Thanks! Btw I'm a newbie but mechanically inclined I and open to all advice and criticism.

Hi and welcome to the Phorum!
I would use a pin point oilier to get into some of the tight places that require lubrication. Be careful around the dial drive cables there a bit of a pain to replace or reattach.
As for the caps you've got several in a big black metal can with tar to hold them in place. There is a few under the chassis  in a small metal inclosure. And last but not least 3 or 4 jobs that have resistors in series with them under the chassis too.
Wouldn't replace the tubes just for the fun of it the ones you have are likely to be ok. The alignment isn't difficult. Neutralize the RF stages and then peak them up at 1400kc or so. It's not uncommon for the primaries of the rf coils to go bad (open) but easy to rewind. And the audio driver to go open too. Not hard to find a replacement.
GL
Terry

There are instructions either here in the tech section or on philco repair bench on how to align neutrodynes. Tells about how to make an adapter to disable the filiments to align each section.