Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 40-180 shortwave band operation

thank you, ron, for your reply. the one-turn loop is connected to both the points you mention. from the visible side of the 38-9884 board, there are no breaks nor frayed parts of the wire. i can not see the top of the board to determine if the loop is intact. the soldered joint, where the wire from screw number #3 connects to, appears to be newer. i assume it may have been re-soldered with the 1993 repairs.

at this point there still is no shortwave nor police band, and i am starting to work through your bullet points.

i would like to ask if there is a reference manual, or book, or downloadable diagram to identify the internal components? something in addition to the wiring schematic. since i am new at this, i am not sure how i would clean the band switch.

i opened the schematic for the model 40, but i have no electronics background to read the symbols. the 39-6443 label inside the cabinet listed the tubes, and this radio does have the 6J8G tube. how do i check the tube out to see if it is oscillating at all frequencies, do i take that to a local antique radio club?

and finally, in another topic area, the insulation on all the wires leading from the antenna terminal board, and on the 1 wire from the small two-screw board inboard of the antenna terminal board, is cracked in places showing exposed bare wire. what is the recommended replacement wire?

thank you again for your time...

Messages In This Thread
philco 40-180 shortwave band operation - by Guest - 04-25-2008, 11:27 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 04-26-2008, 07:08 AM
[No subject] - by Guest - 05-10-2008, 05:38 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 05-11-2008, 10:26 AM