Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-93 passed the smoke test!

Anyone know where I can find a reproduction grill cloth for a 37-93? Haven't seen anything close at radiodaze or the other usual suspects. just recapped it and restuffed the bakelite blocks. After passing dim bulb and smoke test and swapping the rectifier tube...it's SINGING! Picking up stations near and far but it's got a low hum. I have not attempted an allignment (I don't have a signal generator). While on the subject I'd like to hear some sage advice about the best way to go in regard to signal generators. Keep in mind that I'm a hobbiest on a budget but would like to make a frugal investment. Any advice welcome

Dan in Louisiana

The original pattern for the 37-93 is no longer produced by anyone.

Perhaps you might consider the Diamond Regular from Richmond Designs?

http://richmonddesignsinc.com/grille_cloth_product_page

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Dan,

Congratulations on getting your first (?) radio restoration working.

Thanks Ron for the lead on the grill cloth. Thanks PA yes this is my first restoration..but I have since aquired several others from the land of broken radios that are just learing at me in the room (namely 45L, 39-70, 38-4. This one still has a hum, a speaker practically in shreds and a HOLE in the cabinet big enough to stick 4 fingers in lol. Still lots to do but have to admit I'm excited. Anyone know where I can score a replacement cone? I'm also looking for 4 of the smooth head machine screws that hold the speaker/baffle/cloth on a baby grand???

FYI the posts on this site have been INVALUABLE in the process. Many thanks to all!

With the help of the fine folks on electronic restoration...the hum is GONE! The old girl sounds FANTASTIC! I'm ecstatic at the lack of static! LOL. Now I'm going to get aquainted with the fine folks over in "Cabnet Restoration" and see if I can do something with the 2.5 inch hole in the top and it not look like a five year old fixed it. I'm trying hard to not be giddy lol.

Thanks to all,
Dan

Dan, tell us what fixed the hum please.

I think you will find good advice on what to do about the hole and congrats on getting the hum out.

(11-18-2014, 03:27 AM)DanH6464 Wrote:  With the help of the fine folks on electronic restoration...the hum is GONE!  The old girl sounds FANTASTIC! I'm ecstatic at  the lack of static! LOL.  Now I'm going to get aquainted with the fine folks over in "Cabnet Restoration" and see if I can do something with the 2.5 inch hole in the top and it not look like a five year old fixed it.  I'm trying hard to not be giddy lol.  

Thanks to all,
Dan

Nice job! It is always a good feeling to have a radio working well Icon_thumbup