Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 70 with shortwave

Bought these 2 locally. They have been together so long that there is a faded outline of the 70 on top of the shortwave converter Icon_surprised  Seems to be all there and the 70 works. Haven't tried the converter as the cord is falling apart. 70 needs a repair on the lower left corner of the molding.

They sure used small knobs on these early sets. I'd hate to separate them but I have a type 1 model 90 that I'd like to display on the shortwave converter.

Anyone have instructions on how to attach the converter?

Attached Files Image(s)

Congratulations! Icon_thumbup

Unless it was removed, there is a very thick coaxial cable which should protrude from the SW converter chassis.

Connect the center conductor to the ANT terminal on the 70, and the outer shield of the cable to the GND terminal on the 70.

Connect your antenna and ground to the appropriate terminals on the converter (instead of on the 70 itself).

To use the converter:

Tune your 70 to 100 on the dial (1000 kc).

Turn the converter on. You'll have to wait for the converter's tubes to warm up. Once they do, leave your 70's dial at 100 and do your tuning with the converter.

When the converter is turned off, the antenna and ground are bypassed from the converter to the radio. When you turn the converter on, it not only applies power to the converter, it switches antenna and ground to the converter.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you Ron Icon_thumbup  

This is much easier than I thought it would be.