Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-165 Tube layout label

All, I'm finishing up the cabinet on my Radiobar Zephyr with a Philco 40-165 and the tube layout label  is missing.  I think I can make a replica but I need something close to start from.  I found the image below on an old  ebay listing that  I can  use as a template  but  I need approximate dimensions for the label.  The best  scenario would a good photo of a label from a console of similar  vintage.  Can some one provide some guidance  on the dimensions  or perhaps a better photo? 
Thanks in advance,
Keith

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-16-2014, 11:13 AM)keith49vj3 Wrote:  All, I'm finishing up the cabinet on my Radiobar Zephyr with a Philco 40-165 and the tube layout label  is missing.  I think I can make a replica but I need something close to start from.  I found the image below on an old  ebay listing that  I can  use as a template  but  I need approximate dimensions for the label.  The best  scenario would a good photo of a label from a console of similar  vintage.  Can some one provide some guidance  on the dimensions  or perhaps a better photo? 
Thanks in advance,
Keith

I threw this together in less than an hour using powerpoint but my fonts are all wrong.  Can anyone recommend a font type that's closer?

Thanks,
Keith

Attached Files Image(s)

Not sure about the other fonts, offhand, but the two paragraphs below the chassis drawing should be Geometric 231.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

You can clearly see that while the label in Philco uses seifs (PHILCO itself, PRINTED ETC), yours does not.

Copperplate Gothic Condensed for the other lettering.

I still haven't figured out the proper font for the label's part number (39-6283).

Keith, if you do not have these fonts, send me a PM.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(11-18-2014, 07:12 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Copperplate Gothic Condensed for the other lettering.

I still haven't figured out the proper font for the label's part number (39-6283).

Keith, if you do not have these fonts, send me a PM.

Ron, the problem I'm having is that my font collection is limited and whenever I go to one of the free font websites my anti-virus software pops up with warnings and many of the font websites try to install search toolbars.  If you have these fonts please send them to my email address.  For $12.00 it may be safer to have one made by http://www.vintageradiolabels.com/ .  On the other hand, if we can figure this out we could have a template for the Philco's labels that use the same format.
Thanks,
Keith

Vintageradiolabels.com does a great job with photofinish...but their labels, to me, are lacking in that they do not use the correct fonts. At least, the labels I have seen pictures of by them do not have correct fonts. H**l, anyone can do that. It takes some time and effort to do this right.

"Ask, and ye shall receive..."

Fonts heading your way.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(11-18-2014, 08:08 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Vintageradiolabels.com does a great job with photofinish...but their labels, to me, are lacking in that they do not use the correct fonts. At least, the labels I have seen pictures of by them do not have correct fonts. H**l, anyone can do that. It takes some time and effort to do this right.

"Ask, and ye shall receive..."

Fonts heading your way.

Thanks to Ron I'm getting closer.

Attached Files Image(s)

How about this?

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...g~original]

The "PRINTED IN U.S.A." is a bit too large, and I did not change the tube numbers.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

This looks much better, serifs are all in place and alignment is no longer off.
The bottom size...the label's photo is at an angle, hard to tell. I guess, looks close for the size.

Well morzh taught me a new word. For others like me here's the Wiki definition.
Serif
In typography, a serif /ˈsɛrɪf/ is a small line attached to the end of a stroke in a letter or symbol, such as when handwriting is separated into distinct units for a typewriter or typesetter. A typeface with serifs is called a serif typeface (or serifed typeface).

Ron, what program are you using for your drawing?

Keith

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serif

Here's the illustration to what Serif is.

This is why that other class of fonts without them is called Sans Serif, which is French for "No/without Seriffs".

I had to use Photoshop (CS5) for the "PHILCO" and "REG. U.S. PAT.OFF." at the top, because the letters needed to have small spaces between them and that is a trick I cannot do in Paint Shop Pro. For the rest, I used my old but handy Paint Shop Pro 4.14 which is 17 year old software but still runs in Windows 8.1.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Okay, this became a challenge. Just before I take my computer offline for the rest of the day (it's started acting wonky...enough that I feel a reformat & reinstall is in order), I have fine-tuned the label as follows:

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...g~original]

You're welcome.

Icon_wink

I had to guess at the font for the tube numbers - looking at the original, it looks like it *might* be Copperplate Gothic Condensed as well; I think I see serifs in the characters? Anyway, there you go.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Was the centerline of the large circles representing the type #84 and the #41 tubes in like with the rest in the picture of the original or is that just because it was taken at an angle?
Regards
Arran