Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ron's 53-960

Really enjoyed your restoration thread Ron. Okay, whats next on your agenda?  Icon_smile

Next up: to finish the 42-720 Tropic in this thread. I dipped into some savings, bit the bullet, and bought a transformer. Greg (NostalgiaRadioTime) is going to reflock the dial back plate. The dial scale will have to wait a while, but at least I have the artwork. It should be a really neat little set, once the electronic work is done.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(11-20-2014, 09:26 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Agreed - an LED candelabra would be much better than a conventional bulb in the 46-1201, or any other Philco using the candelabra base bulb. I think we've all seen what happens to the light shield in these sets due to the heat generated by the incandescent bulbs used in these sets. The LED should run much cooler.

Ron;
   I think part of the problem with the light screen in the 46-1201 isn't just the heat from the dial lamps, the issue with those bulbs is that the will leave a burn mark in the screen if the socket is pushed to far in, so an LED substitute would definitely resolve that issue as well as having to change the bulb, which is had to get at without pulling the chassis. But if you look at the 46-1201's chassis it is mounted with the controls and dial facing straight up, meanwhile the chassis (at least my Canadian built version) has a 50X6 and a 50L6 cooking away below, with no ventilation in the top of the cabinet, so even if the candelabra lamp does not get pushed up against the screen and burn it the celluloid will eventually warp anyhow. 
Regards
Arran