Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nice Phorum, just going to ramble to start with.

Really like working on the old philco radios. First experience was a model 16 console, for a friend, now the 16b is on my wish list. Another friend had two radios, an RCA 10k1 and a Philco 40-160. A deal was made, fix the 40-160 for him and keep the 10k1. Although the RCA is one of my favorite radios, I was very impressed with the Philco and added one to my collection. That little console really brings in the stations. Other Philcos in the shop are a 630 console, which is looking for a tombstone cabinet, and a 15x that is so much fun restoring, I kind of hope it never ends, it's made very well. It has a copper electrolytic that will shine up real nice. I normally take a tubing cutter and separate the can at the bottom, midway where the clamp holds it, for restuffing. I hate to cut into this one, it almost looks like the vent cap would pull off this one, but haven't tried too hard yet. Needs the multi-section tube shield, so I guess I'll be posting the need in the Philco wanted section.
Anyway thanks for making this forum available, and I'll be visiting often.
Again, I really like working on the old Philcos.

Ron F

Welcome, Ron F! Wander on over to Old Ron's Bar & Grill now and pick up your virtual complimentary ice cold Bud! Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Glad to see a forum dedicated to Philco. The Sandusky, OH plant is now represented. Icon_razz

Welcome to the board, Ron. There's something for everyone into Philco's here so it seems. I am a borderline Philco/Zenith person and have found enjoyment in both sets. I like working on Philcos. Just finished touching up and recapping an old 42-345 I had since I live in Fla some years ago. Almost forgot about it. I gave it a nick name of THE SQUEALER as all it did was play loudly and squeal. A handful of caps later I'm listening to it now to a station on AM 740 in Toronto playing Big Band music. OK, Toronto is not that far from Chicago, but considering I live within line of sight to the WGN AM 720 tower, I'd say the old Philco's doing well. Well that's my ramble for tonight. Keep us posted. You have the best Philco tech online here. Thanks Ron Ramirez for your time in putting this together. Gary in Chicago.

I'm a new face here, too. I seem to have more Philco sets in my collection than any other brand, with Zenith a close second. Philco must have had a huge market share in the 1929-51 era, from the numbers of those sets that keep turning up.

I'm about ready to start on my 16B restoration, as soon as I finish the 90 on my bench. One of the electrolytics in the 16B is a two-section type, which should be interesting to try and open up for restuffing. I'm glad to find another forum to check out.

"AM 740" is a great station; they play stuff that I've never heard anywhere else.

Tim KA3JRT

I'm glad to see everyone aboard... Icon_smile

Regarding AM 740, the first time I tried to pick up this station recently, I was getting major co-channel interference from a station in Oklahoma. But now that I have this big honkin' 41-300 in the living room with its loop antenna, it's usually pretty easy to null out Oklahoma and bring in the big band music from Toronto. Of course the signal fades in and out, but when it's in...GREAT listening.

You will all refrain from using that Z-word here.

Just kidding. Icon_biggrin

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN