Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 89 Chasis

Finally I am starting on my 89 Chassis, Here are a couple pictures before I start.

Here is the top portion
[Image: http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p721...e569d6.jpg]

Here is the bottom of chassis,
[Image: http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p721...9461bf.jpg]

And I have a question, the metal block on the left contains 5 caps in it. But looking on the schematic I can find only one reference to part #4 which is this metal case with 5 caps in it.The #4 of the schematic only shows one cap, can someone tell me what I am missing so I can find out where the other 4 caps are and what they connect to? The part #4 (the metal case in the pic) should have .09, .05, .09, .05 and a .25 in it but I cant  find those on the schematic. thanks for any help, here is a pic of he schematic.

[Image: http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p721...028ded.jpg]

You shouldn't be going by that schematic anyway, as I see your 89 has a 36 tube and not a 77. Continued use of that newer schematic will only serve to confuse you.

Use the information here:

http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/89evol.htm

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Crap.... I told Chuck I had a code 123 and that's the info he gave me. Looks like the parts list, etc will be wrong also then. The tube didn't have a number on it so wasn't positive on if it was 36 or 77. Amazing you can tell that just from the picture. It does seem to make more sense comparing to the radio. Thanks, I will print out the other schematic.... after I find out which one is my version exactly. Icon_redface

EDIT ... Well, I have the K21 speaker so it is at least run 7. Just have to figure out if it is run 7, 9 or 13 looks like.

Simple: Your under-chassis photo...second tube from the left...it clearly has five pins so it must be a 36. A 77 has six pins. Icon_smile

Don't blame Chuck, he provides an excellent and needed service. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(11-23-2014, 08:30 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Simple: Your under-chassis photo...second tube from the left...it clearly has five pins so it must be a 36. A 77 has six pins. Icon_smile

Don't blame Chuck, he provides an excellent and needed service. Icon_thumbup

Yes, I agree. Chuck does good job, just somehow , im sure because of all the revisions to this model, it got mixed up. thanks again.

BTW, I did send all pertinent Production Change Notes for his set in the info packet.
Can't remember if I also directed him to Ron's Evolution page here as well.

That Chuck guy….. Icon_smile 

Looks like I need to replace some wires in this set. A couple have the insulation coming off and I need to use new longer wires for the electrolytic 450volt caps. Just wanted to meke sure about the kind of wire to use... is 22gauge strnded wire right? Or is there a better choice? Thanks for any suggestions.

I like to use stranded wire. If you nick solid wire and have to move later, to replace a part, it may break and you may never know it until you apply power to the radio and find out that you have a problem. That's only my opinion.
I just got done reworking a Philco 89 today. Like you I was a little confused about which schematic to use. My radio had the 36 Osc tube and I finally figured out that I had to use run 13 schematic. I also read through all the changes and anything else I could find on the 89.
Make sure that you check all transformers. My radio had a bad power Xformer and an open osc coil. I did rewind the ocs coil and replaced the power transformer, along with the capacitors and many resistors. I applied power, just today, and the radio came alive. There are still a few problems but I am hoping that a good alignment will cure these problems.
Just take your time, be careful, and enjoy restoring your radio.

Thanks JOEJOE for your answer, so I take it 22 gauge wire sounds like its big enough to everyone here?

Since no one answered.. guess I will go with 22 gauge stranded wire. Thanks everyone for your time.

22 gauge is quite adequate for a radio chassis but AWG has nothing to do with voltage so you have to watch your insulation voltage rating.

I would use 20 gauge, 600 V rated, either as tinned stranded wire or solid core wire depending on what the set used originally, but use 18 on power transformers. The insulation on a lot of 22 gauge wire is very thin, so you really need to watch the voltage rating on that stuff.
Regards
Arran

I have to disagree, use the unrated cloth covered wire, the 600 volt rated wire is too large in diameter and looks terrible. The unrated wire we have today has more insulation than the unrated wire that Philco used originally.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the replys. I know it seems a simple question but a little input helps alot for me as I havent had to replace wires yet in a set. I know what to look at now.

Good luck on a good radio! I had fun on the one I redid a while back...that is, figuring out which schem to use.