Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 43 - Speaker re-coning

Can anyone recommend a competent craftsman to re-cone the speaker in a Model 43 cathedral style radio?

I found some references to Hank Brazeal, but the phone number and email address don't work.

Thanks!

Hank Brazeal had retired many years ago.

If you go to the Resources page on this web site there is quite a bit of info on where to find various things.  Speaker Repair is one of the listed items.

Looks like the speaker in the 43 is an 8" speaker (according to the speaker data that Ron has documented see the file speakers.zip).  You might want to try to re-cone it yourself if the voice coil is in good shape.  Bob Andersen did a video on a similar 8" speaker using a cone from MAT Electronics.  I was able to do a re-cone by watching his video.  If you try the re-cone, be sure to put some tape over the voice coil slot to keep dirt out, any dirt that gets in there causes a problem.

Thanks, Bob!

I watched the video, and may try to re-cone the speaker myself.

(11-24-2014, 03:09 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  Looks like the speaker in the 43 is an 8" speaker (according to the speaker data that Ron has documented see the file speakers.zip).  You might want to try to re-cone it yourself if the voice coil is in good shape.  Bob Andersen did a video on a similar 8" speaker using a cone from MAT Electronics.  I was able to do a re-cone by watching his video.  If you try the re-cone, be sure to put some tape over the voice coil slot to keep dirt out, any dirt that gets in there causes a problem.

Rich Stamer, Sound Remedy in NJ. Good guy, good work, good prices. Google him up.

Good luck

Paul

Tubetalk1

Thank you, Paul. I will check him out.

(11-24-2014, 08:17 PM)Paul Philco322 Wrote:  Rich Stamer, Sound Remedy in NJ. Good guy, good work, good prices. Google him up.

Good luck

Paul

+1 for Rich Stamer. He did a great job for me.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Glad to hear this, Eric! I have contacted Rich and will send him my speaker for the re-coning while I do tedious cosmetic restoration on the chassis--lots of light corrosion on the (cadmium?) plated surface. When I get the speaker back, I can start re-capping, etc., and hear confirmation of my progress, or lack thereof! I am assuming he will use the original spider and field coil, etc., and incorporate them in the re-coning? I would like them to remain.

Another +1 for Rich Stamer. He reconed the speaker for my 37-630 last summer. Did a great job.
Jon