Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CLEANING PHILCO 43 DIAL

I just cleaned the riveted-on dial on the Model 43 radio I am restoring. I used Windex, and a lot of the grunge came off. However, there are still "arcs" of black streaking where, I suppose, the dial rubbed against something. I was wondering if there is something that will clean that, without damaging the ink in the dial which is in perfect condition. Also, is there a product that will restore some luster to the plastic? It was warped on one end, and wouldn't travel down into the chassis slot--I used a hairdryer and finger pressure which fixed that nicely.

You could possibly try some mineral spirit, just start in some inconspiuous place, see if it is benign.

I also use Windex and never needed anything else.

Thanks--I will try that!

(11-28-2014, 04:34 PM)morzh Wrote:  You could possibly try some mineral spirit, just start in some inconspiuous place, see if it is benign.

I also use Windex and never needed anything else.

Here's what you need to clean and polish the plastic dial cover: Plastx . I use it on all dial covers.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Hi Eric--there's no plastic cover over the dial, only the bare dial itself. I believe the inked dial scale is on the back side of the dial...are you recommending I use this product on the front of the dial itself? Tnx!

If the dial is plastic and the printing is on the reverse side, it should work. Don't use it on any painted or printed surface.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL

the description makes this sound like a great product! I will get some and test a small area. Just what were these early dials made of? Is it plastic? Would it react chemically with this product in the same way a modern plastic would? Don't want to dissolve it into amber goo! LOL

(11-28-2014, 05:33 PM)Eric Adams Wrote:  If the dial is plastic and the printing is on the reverse side, it should work. Don't use it on any painted or printed surface.

I've used it on plastic dial covers from the 40s with no issues. It was designed to clean plastic headlight covers on cars.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL

Eric,

I finally tried the PlastX on the Model 43 dial. I could see a little luster, but no cleaning effect. I'll remind you that the printed dial scale seemed to be covered by a layer of the phenolic. I think they fused two layers together, after one was imprinted. (Somewhere I read that some of the dials were done that way.)
Today the odorless mineral spirits arrived. I tried that. No results, really. Then I got the little stiff acid brush, finally, and tried rubbing with the mineral spirits on the black smudges and arced streaks...after a while I noticed it was cleaning just a little. Finally, I realized what I could do.
I got some fine steel wool, and vigorously rubbed all the smudged black areas with mineral spirits. Slowly but surely the black came off! It also gave some clarity to the whole dial. I did both sides, and finished off with the PlastX, which added some surface luster and protection.

After the initial Windex cleaning, that dial was dull, barely translucent, and ruined with all that black smudging and smearing from 82 years of rubbing against the black painted light slot plate. Now it is clean and translucent, the dial scale crisp and legible--it almost looks like it just came off the assembly line! I am very pleased.

The PlastX was the perfect finishing touch! Thank you!

(11-30-2014, 12:14 PM)Eric Adams Wrote:  I've used it on plastic dial covers from the 40s with no issues. It was designed to clean plastic headlight covers on cars.

I'm glad to hear that you got it. Icon_clap

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL