Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Removing wax from chassis

Hey everyone,
I've started working on my 16b and am in the process of cleaning the chassis. does anyone have any tips on what works well for removing wax from the chassis? At one point something got hot enough to melt a fair amount of wax onto the chassis. I've removed quite a bit by scraping and using a heat gun to soften the bulk of it but there is still a film that needs to come off in the nooks and crannies. Any one have any tips? Thanks!

As I remember Laquer Thinner washed off capacitor wax off tubular paper caps well....try it.

Try paint thinner/mineral spirits on the wax first, if that fails then move to the lacquer thinner. I use lacquer thinner to remove the hard dark brown wax residue from paper caps shells, but varsol/paint thinner/mineral spirits works on the soft yellowish kind.
Regards
Arran

WD 40 may work well too. It will remove crayon from painted walls.
                                    Henry

Xylene, is a great solvent for wax.
Keith

I just went though this. I had never reinstalled my 19B chassis in the cabinet which I refinished two years ago. The chassis was partially covered in wax from a power transformer meltdown. Amazingly, the original transformer was still good...but I digress.

I first tried denatured alcohol. It barely touched the stuff.

I did not have any lacquer thinner, so I then tried mineral spirits. That did a very good job of cleaning off the mess. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN