Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-1209 Electronics

So I've seen back and forth but am still a little lost.  I am in the final stages of finishing the refinish of the cabinet today and I have all new tubes coming in along with decals this week.  When powered on tubes came on from what I could see but I didn't hear anything.  The phono button is stuck so I will try to unstick it later.  I'm going to replace the record player with a modern one (without hacking anything up) to run through the amplifier.  Now the two things I'm looking at replacing and need the correct parts for are the transformers.  The one on the underside (32-8274) looks like its for the most part halfway melted so I'd like to replace it and I saw the one on top is usually a problem (32-8248 ).  I'd like to at least replace these while I have everything apart.  Can anyone point me directly to the parts I need.  It would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tested the continuity of the audio output transformer? Ditto the power transformer?

One should not just replace major parts unless you know that they are bad. The same goes for tubes - tubes are often still good; just buying an extra set without testing them first merely depletes the supply available to others.

I've seen audio transformers that looked bad by appearance alone, but still worked fine; same goes for power transformers.

Moral: Do not guess - always test.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Not sure really where to test or how to test on the transformers.  I know basic electronics but that's about it.  Mainly wiring car electronics and race boxes and such.  The tubes are not NOS but modern replacements.  Looks like someone has done work in it before since some wires are modern and not cloth wrapped.  Several wires were starting to melt onto the transformer which made me think it was overheating. Trying to upload a pic of it but it wont let me.

Do you have a volt-ohmmeter, digital (DMM) or analog?

1946 Philco radios generally do not use cloth covered wiring; the insulation on the wires is plastic and does melt easily when overheated. So...yes, if you have melted leads coming from the power transformer, then that is definitely not a good thing. Audio output transformers generally do not run hot, but anything is possible.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yes I do

Here's the "How To" information on adding pictures to your post.  Hope it helps.

[Image: http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k124/z...396521.jpg]

Got to admit, that output transformer looks toasted! Icon_sad
How about a picture of the power transformer?  The output should be relatively easy and inexpensive to source a new replacement.
Best,  Jerry

Edit: Model number of the radio would be helpful.

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

So where would I buy that piece and which one. I saw some Hammond 125s but wasn't sure which one

[Image: http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k124/z...201431.jpg]

[Image: http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k124/z...104651.jpg]

Power is going through since 5 of tubes I can at least see glowing and the other two are warm but I know that's no a defient to working.

Model - 46-1209

On a side note don't know if it matters but after 15min of being on the output trans if cool and the primary transformer is warm

Looking at the picture of the underside see several old paper caps you should replace those and check the resistors before you create more problems.  To check the output transformer secondary unsolder one lead to the speaker measure ohms of the transformer then measure ohms of voice coil on speaker. To check primary of output transformer unsolder one on the  leads measure ohms. let us know what you have. Good Luck David 

Schematic link for those following is for a code 121 the poster may have a different build code but this should be close. I'm not surprised the output transformer is cold (they generally run cool) but this one looks dead. Sounds like you may have a good power transformer. Correct me if I'm wrong but from your pictures it appears the rectifier has a rather purple glow. If so, not good. Cease putting power to the radio and pull the rectifier out. You can check the HV windings from the top of the socket with an ohm meter, checking plate 1 to ground and plate 2 to ground. Let us know what you get.
Jerry

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/586/M0013586.htm

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

The purple is because of no infrared filter on my phone they glow orange otherwise. I can solder and decoder if I know what to replace with. I'm guessing just take the numbers off the cups and replace as the great internet tells me. I'll check ohms once I figure exactly what to hook up where.

That power transformer looks great to me. the one on my 47-1230 (sister model to your 46-1209, almost identical) is very, very similar & works like a champ. These are pricey, don't change it unless required to.
The output transformer looks like it was burnt. I'd still test for continuity. Do you have a multimeter?

Have you done basic recap yet or is it still running all the old caps? Don't power it without the speaker, the power circuit include its coil. I'd work on the capacitors before doing anything more. If there's a fault in the circuitry causing the output transformer to burn, changing the OT might only result in more flames.

BTW as long as the phono button is stuck, you'll never receive any signal. The good news is that you can connect about anything trough the phono input, its a rather standard mono input compatible with almost anything. I ran an MP3 player and a computer trough mine, best way to test the amp recap.

-Mars

Talking about the caps I am assuming that's the wax cylinders I see in there. I took several of the numbers down but didn't find what to replace them with. Is there any guidance on that. I saw what I think are the one I saw in another photo but don't know the correlating to the originals.

30-4572
30-4591
30-4587
30-4620
30-4518

Buy this and replace them?

[Image: http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k124/z...U60_57.jpg]