Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Better than "Old English"

Hi,
I have acquired a floor radio in decent condition. It looks like it was in a nice warm environment without moisture, etc. But it is very old and needs some sprucing up. I used "Old English" on the cabinet and that made a nice difference. However if there was something that would be another "step up" it would help. Bottom line is that I am hoping there is a product that someone could recommend that would take it to that next "step up." Originally I was going to strip and do the whole make over but upon receiving the radio it is beautiful, just "dry" and "dull." Veneer is all there and the original finish has held up pretty good. Thanks!

I would suggest Howard's Restore-A-Finish instead of Old English. Available in many hardware stores and antique malls, and online I believe. You will want to select the color that most closely matches your cabinet.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The restore-a-finish will brighten the finish back up, the one thing about lacquer a solvent will soften it up and then the restore-a-finish will blend in and once it dries the look is much better. If it was gatored/wrinkled badly with much of the finish missing chunks then you would need to strip it. As long as the finish is intact Howard's products will go a long way.

Hi guys,
I went to Home Depot today and bought some Howards Restore a finish. WOW That was more than a step up. It brought life back to the cabinet that I never dreamed of. My wife only gives compliments sparingly. She told me it now looks gorgeous and beautiful. Thanks for the help and advice!!! Icon_biggrin

Glad it worked for you, some use cloth when using Howard's and some use very fine steel wool, I use a lint free cloth rather than the steel wool but the steel wool will help take inperfections out. I have not tried to two step it, steel wool then lint free cloth but that would be an option.