Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-11 Dial mechanism questions

A nice 37-11 followed me home recently and I removed the control handle cover, control handle and station tab escutcheon in order to remove the damaged dial. I'm now trying to put the genie back in the bottle.

The audio (mute) switch contact is driving me nuts. I can't see how to align it with the control slot on the side of the hub assembly. After aligning it, what holds the switch contact in the right place? I position it over the slot, attach the handle, and the switch refuses to stay in place. Was there a spring between the pin on the handle and the audio switch?

Can you tell I feel like I'm nailing jello to a tree? So far, I've replaced the e-caps and re-stuffed the Bakelite caps in the power supply and the radio is proving to be a strong performer. It is also proving to be profoundly irritating. I have to remove the station tab escutcheon in order to play the radio - otherwise the audio contact switch touches the escutcheon and the audio disappears.

Has anyone danced with this mechanism? I'm in need of advice.

Mike, K9UW
Amherst, WI

Mike, K9UW
Amherst, WI

mike
welcome to the phorum
I think this should help http://philcorepairbench.com/autodial/index.htm
others will join in to advise too
sam

This will also help:

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=5938

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Mike,
I  have been working on my 38-2 same dial and have become almost a master at taking the SOB apart and back together again.Are you missing the spring part 16 on the schematic Ron posted? It is not a coil spring persay just a thin bent piece of metal.  

Hi Doug-5er:

The spring you refer to, part #16, is what I believe to be a switch that mutes the audio whenever the handle is pressed in to change frequencies.  That spring is indeed present (see attached photo).  I also believe that, in order for the switch to mute the audio on command, it must follow the system's movements so it is in place to greet the handle when the handle is depressed.  My problem, I think, is that this synchronization of movement is not taking place.

The Service Bulletin suggested by others is getting a bit dog-eared from repeated use.  On page 1, second column, item 3 (Control Handle) step "c" says:  "Replace handle and reassemble using caution to have audio switch '16' in control slot on side of hub assembly".  

As you can see from the attached photo, I have positioned the switch/spring over what I believe to be the control slot, but the spring is well above the control slot and the hub moves without engaging the switch/spring.  

This project has been on the back burner for a couple of days while I await the arrival of a repro dial from RadioDaze as the original was kaput.  No point in futzing with it if it all has to come undone in a few days.

How does the switch/spring engage that control slot?  Is it simply held down into the slot by the peg on the handle?

Mike, K9UW
Amherst, WI

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike, K9UW
Amherst, WI

(Quote)
How does the switch/spring engage that control slot?  Is it simply held down into the slot by the peg on the handle?

I see you removed the handle for clarity, that spring if you look at the underside of the handle should rotate with the handle,Make sure the bushing is on top of the round part of the spring that goes on the control shaft.The bushing is the same as the round part of the spring.When you put the tuning handle back on the shaft line the spring up with the center of the handle using a thin screwdriver or something thin to depress the spring as you slide the handle housing down on the shaft.If you need more help just ask,Like I said it's an SOB.But i wasn't going to let it beat me.That notch is just for clearance when the spring is depressed.

(12-08-2014, 10:04 PM)doug-5er Wrote:  (Quote)

I see you removed the handle for clarity, that spring if you look at the underside of the handle should rotate with the handle,Make sure the bushing is on top of the round part of the spring that goes on the control shaft.The bushing is the same as the round part of the spring.When you put the tuning handle back on the shaft line the spring up with the center of the handle using a thin screwdriver or something thin to depress the spring as you slide the handle housing down on the shaft.If you need more help just ask,Like I said it's an SOB.But i wasn't going to let it beat me.That notch is just for clearance when the spring is depressed.

Thanks for that insight!  I was interpreting the service bulletin to mean that the spring would fit into that slot would it would move with the hub.  I just didn't see how that was going to happen.  I'll work on this as soon as the dial arrives and I'll let you know how it goes.

So far, I've replaced the electrolytics and restuffed the Bakelite caps in the power supply section.  Even with the old paper caps in the IF, RF and audio sections, the radio is a strong performer.

Thanks again!

Mike, K9UW
Amherst, WI

Mike, K9UW
Amherst, WI