Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

what are these Philco's?

I was offered these 2 Philco's today but due to the pictures I can't really tell what they are or find them on the Philco site.

Any ideas and any idea what would be a good price? both work supposedly but by the look they need help.

Thanks
Kirk

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

ok is the bottom one an 118X?

As of 1/01/2021

and the top one a 71H?

As of 1/01/2021

Just going through gallery and was going to guess 71H. I think you got it. Check the 43H also see what you think.

Without searching, the knob layout on the top one is probably 70, 71, or 90. The 43 has the bottom 3 knobs in a straight line like the 18/118 below.

Top - 71H
http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1932b.htm#x

Bottom - 18X or 118X
http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1935b.htm#f

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

He wants $225.00 for them.

Thats high right?

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Yes, that's high. I don't think I would offer more than $150 for the pair...and that only if I really wanted them badly...more like $100 for the pair since both are going to need cabinet as well as chassis work.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

One chassis was supposedly done

I'll email him and see what he will do

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

There are better fish in the pond.  Just wait and they will show up.

Pete AI2V

Thats a good idea, I said "No thank you"

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

I would not have said "no thank you" but I would have communicated that the $250 was too much. I've heard claims that a chassis was supposedly "gone over" or "overhauled" but I usually ignore that unless I know who did the work or can see what was done. To some people, including many who should know better, that can mean something as minimal as changing the filter caps and maybe the audio coupling capacitors. It's rather like saying the set works because the tubes light up and they might get some noise out of the speaker. Aside from the electrical side of things both of these cabinets need to be refinished and or repaired, I'm not sure but it looks like the X model set may have the wrong knobs, it's supposed to have a set of either black rosette knobs or hex knobs, I can't tell what kind it has but they look like they may be a set of 1936-40 Philco knobs.
Regards
Arran

I like the slanted front on that second set.

I told him the value and then he said he would take $175.00
No thanks for a 2 hour ride and tolls

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk;
  Let him stew on it for a while, then you can get them for $50-75 a piece like they should be, unless he can prove that one set actually was rebuilt with new capacitors and resistors. The model 71, if that's what it is, was a pretty middle of the road set, though it has a six legged cabinet, another version apparently had doors, according to the gallery. The 18/118 was a little better since it had a tuned RF amplifier stage and a class AB power output stage, and a second band, (the 18 had what they would have called the "police band", the 118 had more of a proper shortwave band) though the X cabinet was more mundane, but not ugly. If you look in the gallery there was also a 118B (cathedral), a 118B (shouldered tombstone), a 118H (Highboy) , a 118D (highboy with doors), an earlier version of a 118X, and a 118MX (Moderne inclined sounding board cabinet).
Regards
Arran