Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

WHERE TO BUY A TUNING CAPACITOR FOR A MODEL 43?

I've been restoring this Model 43, and have come up with a problem.  The tuning capacitor, once I turn the dial past 1050 kHz or so, produced a consistent howl across the rest of the tuning range.  I've done everything I know to do, to get the plates centered, and they now seem to be.  Reception for the small area of the working tuning range seems improved, believe it or not, but the problem remains.  I don't know what else to do.

Is it possible there could be a crack in a rotor plate, or some other irreparable flaw in the capacitor that would cause this problem, assuming none of the plates are too close?

I'm assuming that would mean replacing the capacitor.  Does anyone know where I might find one, or how and in what forum or media to post the want ad?

Thanks so much for your ideas and suggestions!

Jim

Gee, I wish I knew more about radio!
You won't believe this (or maybe you will). It wasn't the tuning capacitor at all! There was oscillation coming from the wire going from the oscillator coil to the grid cap of a 39/44 tube. I noticed if I put my hand in a certain position, the oscillation went away. To cut to the chase, I turned a screw on an ugly trimmer assembly on top of the coil, and the oscillation went away-- Live and learn? Thanks for your kind attention!